Finasteride doesn't work, Dutasteride is way too strong, any other options?

ridfail

I guess I'm one of the few people who fall into the category of being unable to take any DHT blocker medications. Fenisteride doesn't do anything for me. I took 5mg for 8 months and I lost some hair, I speculate that's because my testosterone got elevated. I didn't take anything for a year and i tried dutasteride.

Hit me like a truck. Day 2 on 0.5mg i got ED. I stopped for 3 days, I then tried 0.5 every 3rd day. My energy mood and vitality went onto the trash. I tried 0.1mg every day. Same result. I stopped because life became grey. In principal I could have continued but I was feeling like I'm on antidepressants or something, tbh i would prefer to go bald rather than feeling that way for the rest of my life. Keep in mind I took the equivalent of 7 0.5mg pills in the span of a month so my tissues weren't even saturated with it and I still got the sides.

I've taken Minoxidil for 12 years now and I'm at norwood 3 atm. I'm going to try RU but i guess i better start saving for some world record hair transplant. Atleast i got plenty of high quality body hair.  For the people in their 20's I'd say that you should try fin and dut to see if they work for you. I waited very long before i started them and it turned out that i cannot take them. Unfortunately the internet gave me the delusion that i will hop on one of them and bam like magic I will restore some of my hair and keep the rest. So read my post as a warning, just because something works for 95% of people it doesn't mean that you are not in the other 5. Be far more proactive than me, buy microneedeling device. See what works and what doesnt while you are still at norwood 0.5-1.

• Administrators

You can try topical finasteride like XYON and combine it with oral minoxidil. You can also hop on topical dutasteride. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Judging from my experience you should have given finasteride more time,it can take 1 to 2 years to see the full effects.Shedding is not a sign that fin is not working ,it's efficacy cannot be determined in such a short period.It took me 2 years before i started noticing the first signs of improvement in my hair texture,wish you the best 

Edited by Storyteller