Could a HT be cut down to look like SMP?

Xanadu

Sometimes I see results where I think the immidiate post-op looks better than the final result. Could one cut it so low that it almost looks like SMP (or slightly longer= and have it look good?

For example this one (final result looks less good because lots of beard grafts were used):

For sure...firstly, I do think the beard grafts here stand out a bit due to different color (white) and having more curl than scalp grafts. One fix is for the patient to dye hair to one color and apply straightener, so beard grafts more closely match scalp hair. It also may take a year or two as some surgeons will say that over time, beard grafts tend to soften and take on more characteristics of scalp grafts. 

...however, as you mentioned, if the patient was not satisfied, they could probably keep at this length since there is enough hair and augment with SMP or shave down and do SMP and keep the grafts very short. I have seen this done successfully- see these 2 videos below.

• Moderators

I'd really like to see some after results of beard grafts at around the 3 year mark. I had several chest and beard FUE sessions over the past 8 years and mine always softens and straightens a lot between the 2 and 3 year time frame.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

24 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

I'd really like to see some after results of beard grafts at around the 3 year mark. I had several chest and beard FUE sessions over the past 8 years and mine always softens and straightens a lot between the 2 and 3 year time frame.

So they do take some characteristics of scalp hair? How well has your beard grafts blended with your scalp hair? This can let clients have much more grafts especially if you have a solid beard. 

Yes. If we look at 1.08 in the video - that's a nice look (without adding actual SMP). It it can later be cut like that I would prefer that over the final result. 

So it would be nice to see someone with lots of beard have that short after 1 year. Also it would be interesting to see if there is a different from let's say 18 months to 3 years in terms of the beard hairs being more similar to scalp hairs or not. In the video it is very obvious that there is a big difference.

I think it is styled nicer at 2:06 and 2:09 in which beard hairs blend better. It is a matter of preference, but I think it looks fine. Colored to all salt & pepper rather than white would make beard hair stand out less, no?