Is Finasteride enough…? (Advice needed)

CurlymixedUK

I need a bit of advice guys.

I’m taking oral fin currently (been on it for 1 year): no sides, its halted further loss and has thickened up some existing hairs that were miniaturising.

My next step is to get a HT to fill in the bald/thinning areas. My dilemma is that I’m wondering if a stimulant (e.g. minoxidil) is necessary to get a successful HT result? Or should the halted loss from fin + transplant be enough to achieve (and maintain) a full head of hair.

I’m considering oral minoxidil, but I’m just unsure if it’s a necessity considering Fin seems to be working well.

Any advice / input is appreciated!

Edited by CurlymixedUK

5 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Rogaine actually has zero effect for many guys. Even if it does have an effect, its super high maintenance and IMO won't even move the needle that much. 

Yeah I won’t be using rogaine, I'm considering oral minoxidil but just unsure as to whether it’ll have much of an impact on my future HT result.

I’ve read a few posts on here where the dr has got the patient on oral minoxidil post-transplant but just not really sure if it’s a necessity..

Edited by CurlymixedUK

• Valued Contributor

If you feel that you have benefited from finasteride to the point that it has halted your MPB then I probably wouldn't bother with oral minoxidil. After all finasteride is blocking the cause (DHT) where as minoxidil is a stimulant to the hair follicle. All the best.

• Like 1

On 10/24/2022 at 2:14 AM, Gatsby said:

If you feel that you have benefited from finasteride to the point that it has halted your MPB then I probably wouldn't bother with oral minoxidil. After all finasteride is blocking the cause (DHT) where as minoxidil is a stimulant to the hair follicle. All the best.

Yeah I dont think my hair loss has progressed since being on fin so assuming it’s working. I feel like a lot of people place emphasis on ‘stacking’ treatments so I was wondering if it’s needed in order to get a good HT result.. but if finasteride + a really good doctor is enough then I’m happy with that route.

• Like 1