Taking fin while trying to have a baby

Hey all,

Never been on anything before. Post HT thinking of being on minox + Fin.

However, is it safe to be on fin while trying to conceive? Wife looking at 2 kids in 2 years.. I was thinking of taking Rogaine in the meantime if fin is a no go.

What are your thoughts?

Follow my Hair Transplant experience with Eugenix!

Nov 16, 2022

Perfectly safe, there have never been any reported complications with children conceived on fin but this is a better question for your doctor. There is a lot of fear mongering about fin online and this forum isn’t any different. You can lose a lot of hair in 2 years without fin.

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 2

I researched this extensively a few years back when we were trying for kids.  Basically, the information is based on a study in rhesus monkeys.  

The main reason that warnings are issued is because it could affect the development of male gentilia in a fetus.  Formation of male genitalia happens somewhere between 12-15 weeks of gestation.  

Ultimately,the levels of finasteride in semen are too low to have any real effect.  But just to be safe, we used condoms as soon as my wife became pregnant.  

We now have two healthy boys.  

Best of luck

Edited by splitting hairs
  • Like 3

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

• Like 1

Propecia since July 2008

2201 Grafts with Dr Lorenzo on 19.10.22 - See my write up here:

6 hours ago, splitting hairs said:

I researched this extensively a few years back when we were trying for kids.  Basically, the information is based on a study in rhesus monkeys.  

The main reason that warnings are issued is because it could affect the development of male gentilia in a fetus.  Formation of male genitalia happens somewhere between 12-15 weeks of gestation.  

Ultimately,the levels of finasteride in semen are too low to have any real effect.  But just to be safe, we used condoms as soon as my wife became pregnant.  

We now have two healthy boys.  

Best of luck

So basically taking fin while trying to conceive will not do anything but after a confirmed pregnancy wearing a condom during that period of time before birth is smart? I always thought the levels of fin in sperm could be transmitted…I didn’t know it had to do with finasteride coming into contact with fetus minths down the line…very interesting. You seem very knowledgeable as well so thank you a million for your analysis and use of support. That was one of my worries that eventually I’d have to come off and even though a week or two is probably fine it does still make you worry if you would go long term without it. I really want to try dutasteride but also worry that since it stays in body longer it may not be worth during that time!

gotcha, thanks. 

Based on my research, I came to the same conclusion as you. Where conceiving is fine, but after pregnancy is confirmed, either wrap it up or finish outside.

Just wanted to confirm and of course will confirm with dr as well.

• Like 1

Nov 16, 2022

• Administrators

Conceiving is not an issue, though, you want to make sure your partner doesn’t touch the pills. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

50 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Conceiving is not an issue, though, you want to make sure your partner doesn’t touch the pills. 

yeah she takes no pills, so thats a good thing i guess

Nov 16, 2022

• 3 weeks later...