propecia is 100$ to purchase in US? I think it was around 54$ in Canada

Bhl

I'm trying to get the branded propecia, because I remember I had a bit worse side effects from generic finasteride.. also there seems to be many anecdotes where people got worse results & worse side effects from generic versions. (maybe some other materials included in the pill other than the finasteride is interacting differently for some people?)

I used to get propecia for 54$ or so in Canada and it seems to be around that even now. But in US, it seems to be 100$+ from GoodRx, and amazon pharmacy.

Is this the expected price in US?

Anyone in US taking branded Merck propecia?  where do you get them?

The name brand's are almost always gonna be significantly more expensive - and at least in the US, there shouldn't be any difference at all between the name brand and generic. Who's to say for sure though. 

If you want name brand, another option would be to get Proscar 5mg and cut it into quarters. The name brand is still more expensive, but you're getting 4 months worth out of a 30 day supply doing it this way. Looks like it's around $160 on GoodRx, which would be about $40/month. An option if you can't find the standard Propecia at a good price. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Best cost I've found is $26 for the whole year, (Costco on-line). 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I can't tell all these anecdotes of people on youtube/reddit are genuine or not.. certainly people talk about generics giving them less positive results, and more side effects, some even report massive shedding after switcing to generic from branded.

5 hours ago, Bhl said:

I can't tell all these anecdotes of people on youtube/reddit are genuine or not.. certainly people talk about generics giving them less positive results, and more side effects, some even report massive shedding after switcing to generic from branded.

It’s genuine, a bunch of doctors mention this as well including Cooley and H&W. I believe Cooley recommends Teva brand generic finasteride if you can’t use Propecia. I lost a bit of ground and had massive shedding when I switch from Propecia to an Indian generic, shedding didn’t stop until I switched back to Propecia. I use dutasteride now but if you want to save a bit of money get  the name brand Proscar and split it into quarters.

Edited by Tiger2050

• Administrators

That sounds quite high, you can get the generic for much cheaper. A high-quality topical like XYON costs the same. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

That sounds quite high, you can get the generic for much cheaper. A high-quality topical like XYON costs the same. 

But oral form is more effective right? and also easier to do everyday I guess?

• Administrators
29 minutes ago, Bhl said:

But oral form is more effective right? and also easier to do everyday I guess?

It is easier to use, efficacy is almost the same from a good quality topical. Oral version has a much higher chance of side effects.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.