Whole Families hair thinning

Hey All,

For 4 yrs now I've watched my families hair all thinning away to around 20% left. That's me, my daughter (17) and son who is now 14 yrs old. 

Before this started everyone had super thick hair. My theory is ringworm as we did get it around the time it started 4 yrs ago, however we all show no signs of it now, but yet everyones hair is continuing to thin. If we don't find an answer soon, all my kids including myself will have no hair left. 

Has anyone heard of this happening or know what could be causing it? We eat relatively healthy so I don't think its that. 

Thanks,

• Confused 1

It's been years and put it off but finally booked in for about 2 months time. Hopefully they can do some kind of skin check to see if its some type of fungal infection although when we look closely we can't see any red or real sign of it. It's so strange but it did start around the time we got the fungal infection on other parts of our body. So maybe it's on the scalp with no real signs too. It's the only thing that makes sense. 

On 10/8/2022 at 5:41 AM, Billy101 said:

It's been years and put it off but finally booked in for about 2 months time. Hopefully they can do some kind of skin check to see if its some type of fungal infection although when we look closely we can't see any red or real sign of it. It's so strange but it did start around the time we got the fungal infection on other parts of our body. So maybe it's on the scalp with no real signs too. It's the only thing that makes sense. 

That’s bizzare. Fungal scalp infections don’t cause generalize hair loss. It’s patchy. Look up times capitis. 

This sound like a nutritional deficiency or environmental exposure. Can you post a picture of your scalps? 

Billy101,

If I am understanding you correctly you’re saying that you, your daughter and your son are all losing hair at the same time? Are you losing hair all over your scalp or only on top? Do you have any photos showing this?

To be honest, this is very strange and doesn’t sound like any phenomenon I am aware of.  I’m concerned that something more serious than hair loss may be going on if all three of you at various ages are experiencing this.  Are there any other symptoms the three of you are experiencing?

I suggest seeking medical advice immediately and have your house inspected to rule out any environmental factors like asbestos, stachybatrys (toxic black mold), etc. 

please keep us posted and I truly hope that nothing serious is going on.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

That's what makes this so incredibly confusing that its all over thinning on everyone in the family and we thought it may be environmental but we've lived in 2 different houses at the time this is happening although they have been in the same area both properties. 

I'll try and get some photos to show you shortly, it's definitely thinning all over. My daughter and son are probably worse, down to 30% of their hair left. And yep its certainly confusing and can't find anyone else online who is saying anything similar which makes it even stranger experiencing this. 

The only reason I believe its fungal, is because we had a fungal problem right before it all started. Could be a coincidence though.  

25 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Billy101,

If I am understanding you correctly you’re saying that you, your daughter and your son are all losing hair at the same time? Are you losing hair all over your scalp or only on top? Do you have any photos showing this?

To be honest, this is very strange and doesn’t sound like any phenomenon I am aware of.  I’m concerned that something more serious than hair loss may be going on if all three of you at various ages are experiencing this.  Are there any other symptoms the three of you are experiencing?

I suggest seeking medical advice immediately and have your house inspected to rule out any environmental factors like asbestos, stachybatrys (toxic black mold), etc. 

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

9 minutes ago, Billy101 said:

That's what makes this so incredibly confusing that its all over thinning on everyone in the family and we thought it may be environmental but we've lived in 2 different houses at the time this is happening although they have been in the same area both properties. 

I'll try and get some photos to show you shortly, it's definitely thinning all over. My daughter and son are probably worse, down to 30% of their hair left. And yep its certainly confusing and can't find anyone else online who is saying anything similar which makes it even stranger experiencing this. 

The only reason I believe its fungal, is because we had a fungal problem right before it all started. Could be a coincidence though.  

What country are u in? Get thyroid, iron ,levels and lead poisoning checked.

6 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

What country are u in? Get thyroid, iron ,levels and lead poisoning checked.

In Australia and doubt everyones thyroid has a problem, but will get iron checked and not sure how you get poisoning checked. We are all booked in with a derma soon, will ask all these things, get a list of what to get checked. 

7 minutes ago, Billy101 said:

In Australia and doubt everyones thyroid has a problem, but will get iron checked and not sure how you get poisoning checked. We are all booked in with a derma soon, will ask all these things, get a list of what to get checked. 

iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism would be the only thing that could cause thyroid problem in everyone at once. But I assume u live in a normal city, where most salts are iodized so doubt it owuld be an issue. 

2 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

iodine deficiency and hypothyroidism would be the only thing that could cause thyroid problem in everyone at once. But I assume u live in a normal city, where most salts are iodized so doubt it owuld be an issue. 

Definitely live in a good region where health and fitness is prioritised by most people here living a good outdoors lifestyle. It's so confusing ... grrr

• Moderators

It could be lead poisoning, arsenic, or possibly a few other chemicals. Did you move into an old house just before this all started?

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/10/2022 at 7:46 AM, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Billy101,

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Hi Rahal,

We are in a brand new house, swapped houses half way through this happening so doesn't seem it could be anything you suggested. 

We've been to a dermatologist and not food related or fungal infection. So now at a complete loss. We all do sleep by our mobile phones but can't imagine that would do it. 

On 10/10/2022 at 7:33 PM, BeHappy said:

It could be lead poisoning, arsenic, or possibly a few other chemicals. Did you move into an old house just before this all started?

We didn't get checked for lead poisoning, arsenic etc .. what would cause them things?