Transplant minus medication?

K_2009

Hi everyone

My first post here.

I have recently gone through a transplant with Dr. Wong. Also, on his recommendation I am taking Proscar 1/4 on alternate days.

I donot like the fact that I will have to take such medication indefinitely. But, at times we have to do things that we do not like anyways.

Its been about a month I am on Proscar, and I have noticed few side effects. Some minor dizziness issue once/twice. Probably a bit of reduced sex drive, which could be related to work-stress too.

For the time being, I plan to keep taking it. But, I would love to stop it in about a year.

MY QUESTION:

* What effects are expected if medication (proscar) is not concurrently taken with a HT?

* What is typically expected if one stops taking it after about a year of HT?

* Is there anybody who is in similar shoes as mine?

Thanks in advance.

K_2009

Hi everyone

My first post here.

I have recently gone through a transplant with Dr. Wong. Also, on his recommendation I am taking Proscar 1/4 on alternate days.

I donot like the fact that I will have to take such medication indefinitely. But, at times we have to do things that we do not like anyways.

Its been about a month I am on Proscar, and I have noticed few side effects. Some minor dizziness issue once/twice. Probably a bit of reduced sex drive, which could be related to work-stress too.

For the time being, I plan to keep taking it. But, I would love to stop it in about a year.

MY QUESTION:

* What effects are expected if medication (proscar) is not concurrently taken with a HT?

* What is typically expected if one stops taking it after about a year of HT?

* Is there anybody who is in similar shoes as mine?

Thanks in advance.

K_2009

your transplanted hair should not be dependent on any medication, however the reason why docs recommend it is because they want you to keep whatever you have left of your original hair on top and to retard its loss rate.

so it is not necessary to be taking any kind of medications just because you are opting for HT.

>>>* What is typically expected if one stops taking it after about a year of HT?<<<

you will probably lose most of what you gained (not including transplanted hair) and your normal hairloss rate will resume.

yes, i'm in similar shoes to you, i was just about to do a new post. By the sound of what your saying it don't look to good. You could ride it out for a while but it looks like you might be one of those folks who cant take the drug. As the other guy said it wont effect your transplanted area but a large section of your native hair will be at the mercy of DHT/ your hormones etc. You could be more specific about your HT details regarding what area of your head was treated etc. Your lack of sex drive is probably derived from Proscar, it really amuses me how people blame stress and say "it's all in your head dude" no mate it's the finasteride. You say your taking a 1/4 of Proscar EOD, thats one Proscar split in 4. You could try taking a break for a couple of weeks, then you could try 1mg EOD, that could do away with your brain fog, dizzyness and maybe resurrect your Libido. Beware and goodluck

Thanks Mr. GQ.

Thanks Jojo

Do you know anybody (in this forum) who has done a HT but not taking medication?

also are there any good tests to determine the effects of these medicines?

Thanks.

hey K_2009, i know i had a ht and currently not on meds. But yeah I'd say there's plenty here on the forum not taking meds with ht's. there prob the type of people who can really afford ht's and have good donar supply so its not such a big deal to shell out 10k for a ht here and there. Losing your native hair behind your transplanted hair would be upsetting and you'd be back to where you started but fu*king your balls and dick up would be a lot worse I'd say, from what I briefly read on Propciahelp.com where some people sounded pretty messed up from taking finasteride to deal with the very real issue of losing their hair. I'll think I'll look into Advodart or give Propecia another go when it feels right.

I posted a similar response on another thread. Anyway I stopped taking proscar and I had a HT 6 weeks ago. I experienced a lot of side effects and decided it was not worth the hassle.

Ideally I would like to take it but my body was not responding well at all. I don't know what the future holds just going to have to wait and see. Like Jojo said, i'd rather have my sex drive and memory than a few more hairs.

I should add that I did experiment taking the drug every other day but that didn't help either. Good luck.

It amazes me that there are so many negative reviews of proscar, yet 'officially' only 2% face these side-effects.

FOr me, I have not seen anything too drastic. I am only 1 month into Procar. Hopefully, things will be ok.

Otherwise, I am ready to cut-off my head alltogether to keep my sex drive...lol.

T/c