Camera vs mirror vs natural light vs artificial - which is the most accurate?

Marty1990

I’ve posted before, I have a parting / double whorl near my crown area which has bothered me for years. I’m talking 12+ years. I’m 32 with a full head of year, but every so often I check it, and for the past couple of months this area has bothered me. I can’t tell whether it’s changed, but sometimes on pictures it looks bad, other times you can’t see it - it all depends on the light or which camera I use.

Mirror you can’t see this area that bothers me, iPhone camera you can in artificial or indoor light sometimes, natural light you can’t. Looks different again with a different camera. 

Literally have no idea which one to believe. Also looks worse if I’m indoors with my head tilted towards a window - but in natural light outside you can’t see this area. 

Doesn’t help my scalp is very inflamed but I don’t know what to believe. Family say they don’t know what I’m talking about, but a colleague a month ago said she could see a “bald spot” which triggered me. 

Which do I believe? 

I have fin just in case but haven’t taken it - primarily based on the fact my family say they can’t see anything wrong with my hair - but I’m finding fault.

Marty1990,

The answer to your question is “all of them“. Because every single scenario are  situations that you find yourself in.  That said, some lighting conditions are harsher than others and to be honest, it is quite rare that a hair transplant won’t look at least a little thin and some of the harsher lighting conditions.  But, the good news is most people will see you under more normal lighting conditions and nobody will be nearly as critical about your hair as you. So my encouragement to you is, don’t stress about what your hair looks like under the worst and harshest lighting conditions because most people won’t see you under them and those that do won’t be even half as critical as you are about your hair.

i hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I think pictures are probably nit always the most accurate reflection because of the issues with different sensor focuses etc. 

Sometimes also the way the hair falls can make it look worse. In some pictures my crown looked awful and in others, it looked fine. Yet naturally feeling the whorl area, you will feel its not adequate because of the  way that it splays out and naturally makes density look less than the other hair, even if you don't have hair loss there. Central whorl patterns or close to it and double whorl patterns probably make the issue look worse. 

On 10/2/2022 at 10:47 PM, Marty1990 said:

I’ve posted before, I have a parting / double whorl near my crown area which has bothered me for years. I’m talking 12+ years. I’m 32 with a full head of year, but every so often I check it, and for the past couple of months this area has bothered me. I can’t tell whether it’s changed, but sometimes on pictures it looks bad, other times you can’t see it - it all depends on the light or which camera I use.

Mirror you can’t see this area that bothers me, iPhone camera you can in artificial or indoor light sometimes, natural light you can’t. Looks different again with a different camera. 

Literally have no idea which one to believe. Also looks worse if I’m indoors with my head tilted towards a window - but in natural light outside you can’t see this area. 

Doesn’t help my scalp is very inflamed but I don’t know what to believe. Family say they don’t know what I’m talking about, but a colleague a month ago said she could see a “bald spot” which triggered me. 

Which do I believe? 

I have fin just in case but haven’t taken it - primarily based on the fact my family say they can’t see anything wrong with my hair - but I’m finding fault.

Do you have family history of balding?