Do the recipient transplanted hair area grow before they fall?

I am at 2 weeks, and my recipient is the same length from 2 weeks ago, but donor and other areas have grown longer. Have seen from others that hair continues to grow before it falls. 

Some recipient area hairs have fallen out. 

IMG_4876 2.JPG

IMG_4910.JPG

It's different for each of us.

USUALLY, what happens in most cases, is that transplanted hair in the recipient will shed between weeks 2-6 post-op. Then you go into the 'ugly duckling' phase till around month 3, where you may observe some early growth.

There is also a small percentage of patients whose transplanted hair just keeps growing and never sheds at all.

Either way, whatever happens to you, relax and wait, as there is nothing you can do at this point. Take it easy and don't draw any conclusions before hitting the 6 month mark at a minimum. 

To clarify my question: 

I understand that they will fall and I understand the ugly phase, I am talking about the time period before they fall. Week 1-week 3 or so, do they continue to grow or are they static? 

I have seen in most cases they continue to grow some before they fall. 

Again, no guarantees. For some, they do not grow and they shed even months later, pushed out by new growth. For some others, they continue growing like 'full' hair. It's a waiting game, there's no right or wrong and each of us reacts differently. Personally,  I tend to not think about it, I'm just chilling and will start assessing after at least three months have passed. 

Prof101,

The transplanted hair, once implanted will grow pretty much right away up until the point where they shed which occurs 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  While most of them grow, a few may remain the same length.  Some may not even shed although most of them typically do.  New growth will typically occur 3 to 5 months after surgery. Hair typically starts to grow thin, fine and colorless and as time goes on they will thicken, darken and mature.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

18 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Prof101,

The transplanted hair, once implanted will grow pretty much right away up until the point where they shed which occurs 4 to 6 weeks after surgery.  While most of them grow, a few may remain the same length.  Some may not even shed although most of them typically do.  New growth will typically occur 3 to 5 months after surgery. Hair typically starts to grow thin, fine and colorless and as time goes on they will thicken, darken and mature.

I hope this helps 

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Thank you this helps. This however means that there is something not right in my case, as my transplanted hairs have no changed in length at all since 2 weeks ago, while the donor and other area have grown. I am nervous. 

I've had four hair transplants from vastly different skill levels of surgeons. In all my surgeries most of the grafts grew before eventually shedding. This isn't to say they have to grow but it is a sign of an established new blood supply. However, I have also had a few grafts that grew initially but never came back. I've had grafts that never grew, nor shed and eventually I just lightly tugged on and they fell. So, point being I don't believe there's only one way to a successful surgery. That being said though, it is slightly concerning that none of the grafts have grown at all after two weeks. Not sure who you went to but the work looks very clean and reminiscent of some top clinics work. Nothing you can do but wait and hope for the best. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts