my results + should i switch to oral minoxidil?

ive been on topical minoxidil for a year and have saw results with just general hair health, texture, thickness, faster hair growth and some small baby hairs (also darkening of hair)

my plan was to use finasteride for 2-3 years (im 2+ months into using finasteride) along with topical minoxidil, then add dutasteride a few times a week and oral minoxidil for better results, would this be a good idea? 

i got decent results from minoxidil so would switching to oral even do anything? i want to switch to oral if the results will be worth it and the risk is low.

Edited by demezz2

• Valued Contributor

Oral minoxidil should be more effective really as it is an exact dose everyday. Topical minoxidil is difficult to maintain as exact dose due to maintaining the exact coverage every day (ie, hair is in the way, how much is exactly covered topically, etc). But I think the main benefit really is that you can just take a tablet versus having minoxidil remaining in your hair if it is greasy, etc. All the best!

• Like 2

On 9/24/2022 at 7:03 PM, duchaine said:

From my experience (search my pics if interested), use both.
When I started to use oral only, I started to lose some density.

it might just be a shed bc more minoxidil is being absorbed ?? 

On 9/25/2022 at 1:15 AM, Gatsby said:

Oral minoxidil should be more effective really as it is an exact dose everyday. Topical minoxidil is difficult to maintain as exact dose due to maintaining the exact coverage every day (ie, hair is in the way, how much is exactly covered topically, etc). But I think the main benefit really is that you can just take a tablet versus having minoxidil remaining in your hair if it is greasy, etc. All the best!

thanks, i made a new topic in detail if you’d ever feel like reading it! thanks for the response btw, it has actually made me realize (outside of results) why oral would be much better

• Like 1

On 9/25/2022 at 5:45 PM, Gatsby said:

This is exactly what Dr Bevin told me 😅.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, duchaine said:

Don't think so, because I have been on oral for 3 years.

ohh, yea likely not but i find it weird that that would happen since you’re absorbing more minoxidil (who knows tho, we’re not even 100% sure how minoxidil works) what dose are you on? 

10 hours ago, LookMaxx said:

I don’t see a difference ? The before pics don’t show any hairloss.

i’m glad you think that but it’s mainly my hairline, but regardless, the quality of my hair improved and instead of laying flat like it used to, it’s kinda spiky and thicker. its kinda hard to show in photos but the texture changed