3 weeks post HT - How does my donor look?

Hello,

so I had my HT done 3 weeks ago. I'm a bit worried about my donor because it looks really patchy. Could it be that it's overharvested or is 3 weeks is too early to tell and it will grow out more?

donor.jpeg

Edited by HortonC
picture

As our friend Adrian has said, post op pictures would say a lot

However, from my own experience it is normal. I had serious shock loss in the donor area in the first month of procedure. It is usually expected when having 2500+ extractions

On the other hand, it would be a problem if your donor looked like this at 6 months to a year

Otherwise... hang in there

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Do you a picture post op? Who was the surgeon? 

2 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

As our friend Adrian has said, post op pictures would say a lot

However, from my own experience it is normal. I had serious shock loss in the donor area in the first month of procedure. It is usually expected when having 2500+ extractions

On the other hand, it would be a problem if your donor looked like this at 6 months to a year

Otherwise... hang in there

Yes. This is the day after the HT.

donor_1dpost.jpeg

5 hours ago, HortonC said:

Yes. This is the day after the HT.

donor_1dpost.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. WOW.  That's a lot of extractions but it seems symmetrical rather than all taken from a same spot.  Looks like somewhere between 3000 and 4000? kindly confirm

Now im hoping that it's just shock loss, which is guaranteed with so many extractions.  Please update again next month by replying to this comment so i can remember you

Good luck 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Thanks for sharing. WOW.  That's a lot of extractions but it seems symmetrical rather than all taken from a same spot.  Looks like somewhere between 3000 and 4000? kindly confirm

Now im hoping that it's just shock loss, which is guaranteed with so many extractions.  Please update again next month by replying to this comment so i can remember you

Good luck 

Ok thank you. It's 3410 to be exact. I wasn't aware that the donor area can experience shockloss and in such an early state. I always thought it's just the rescipient area.

9 hours ago, baldbandito said:

3 weeks is too early to tell. Be patient and stay calm :)  

Thank you!

Just now, HortonC said:

Ok thank you. It's 3410 to be exact. I wasn't aware that the donor area can experience shockloss and in such an early state. I always thought it's just the rescipient area.

Thank you!

Yes certainly, sometimes donor area can take a 2 months to completely be restored back to normal

I'm sure you'll be fine. Speak again soon

• Like 1

I think this can still turn around - and it's not uncommon for the donor to look like this early on. Mine continued to improve over the course of the year, I imagine due to shock loss, as well as the growth cycles of my hair taking a while to get into a rhythm again. So definitely don't worry or panic just yet, bc this doesn't look that alarming to me. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

19 minutes ago, pkipling said:

I think this can still turn around - and it's not uncommon for the donor to look like this early on. Mine continued to improve over the course of the year, I imagine due to shock loss, as well as the growth cycles of my hair taking a while to get into a rhythm again. So definitely don't worry or panic just yet, bc this doesn't look that alarming to me. 

Thank you. How many months did it take for your donor to more or less fully recover from the shock loss?

On 9/20/2022 at 11:10 AM, HortonC said:

Thank you. How many months did it take for your donor to more or less fully recover from the shock loss?

I would say by months 8-12, the donor started to look more even and to the point that I was satisfied. It's still never going to look like an untouched scalp depending on how short I cut, certain times of year, etc., but it's satisfactory to me and I don't think anyone on the outside would notice anything out of the ordinary.  

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

I remember you asking whether to do FUE with Bicer or FUE+FUT with Pathomvanich. Do you mind sharing your immediate post op results with which ever surgeon you did it with? Also would you mind giving us some details about your journey (Meds, history, etc.)?

Also, was your extractions all done on the back of the scalp and not on the sides?

Edited by Vann

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022