Is this overharvesting

Does this look like overharvesting? 

This is a Norwood 6 person and the result on recepient is amazing but I don’t know if the donor is overharvested or this is how it’s supposed to look like. This is 4 months after surgery.

For context, this is the patient of the clinic I said I was researching. The other patients that I could find all were a year out so the donor area couldn’t be judged and neither were they this advanced cases.

Please let me know your opinion. I am really close to actually going with this clinic because their recepient growth results are great and if their donor management is ok too for a higher nw6 person like this then I don’t see a reason why not get it done cheaper. 

0DC0F3E8-9989-41DB-97EE-450E2ED98267.jpeg.2a63a2b6a4909bba73a495f8ddd238cf.jpeg

LookMaxx,

id honestly like to see more photos of the patients donor area before pro binding an opinion.  It’s possible the donor area has been overharvested but it’s also possible that lighting and the angle of the picture is playing tricks on us. 

Also how many grafts did this patient receive and how far out from surgery is he?

One can’t evaluate this photo without additional photos and you details.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Administrators

Short hair under light, you should expect to see scalp. I don’t see anything alarming by this photo. More photos are needed.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Usually over harvest is when you can still see the scalp with longer hair like a clipper guard 3 or 4

The problem here with you is that they focused very much on harvesting from the safest zone rather than a wide harvest for a balanced appearance overall, it can be seen that below the crown and above nape area is completely untouched

• Like 1

Here is from sides

ECA6A7CE-037B-4219-8844-FF8FE2EC71F8.jpeg.9d48b193ebc0de6e8e94e85e48c64d7c.jpeg

I can expect the same result since I am same Norwood as him and it looks horrifying to me frankly but I keep hearing that even with a good transplant you can’t keep small hairs anymore and have to keep them longer. 

Surprisingly there aren’t any pictures of the donor area of good transplant patients here so I could compare what a normal donor should look like vs overharvested. All are a year out fully grown hairs, people are more interested in showing their hairlines lol

1 hour ago, LookMaxx said:

Here is from sides

ECA6A7CE-037B-4219-8844-FF8FE2EC71F8.jpeg.9d48b193ebc0de6e8e94e85e48c64d7c.jpeg

I can expect the same result since I am same Norwood as him and it looks horrifying to me frankly but I keep hearing that even with a good transplant you can’t keep small hairs anymore and have to keep them longer. 

Surprisingly there aren’t any pictures of the donor area of good transplant patients here so I could compare what a normal donor should look like vs overharvested. All are a year out fully grown hairs, people are more interested in showing their hairlines lol

the difference in density really is visible, i think if the rest of the sides would have the same density it wouldnt be that bad, the problem is not thr density itself but the contrast

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr_peanutbutter said:

the difference in density really is visible, i think if the rest of the sides would have the same density it wouldnt be that bad, the problem is not thr density itself but the contrast

The surgeon says there’s shock loss and it will recover. The patient is over the moon with the growth at 4 months already.