Dr. Cooley - 2500 grafts FUT - 18 months later

Mthwehwe

I've waited a while to share this. I'm now 40, and did FUT with Dr. Cooley. Diffuse NW5+ and my main goal was to establish the hairline to frame my face. I  don't want to take meds so he adjusted the hairline to be more conservative. I have a scar from an unrelated head surgery in my donor area and that was no problem for him. He cut right over it the scar in the back. 

It took 6 months before I saw any growth at all. I'm happy with the hairline, although I'll need more ops to thicken things up on top. 

Two Pre Op pics, then 4, 6, 12 and 18 months. 

IMG_3601.jpeg

Screen Shot 2022-09-14 at 12.49.12 AM.png

IMG_4355.jpeg

IMG_4710.jpeg

IMG_1123.jpeg

IMG_1118.jpeg

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Your growth is really coming along nicely m. Also your post should serve as a sticky to remind people that patience is paramount after surgery. There is no need for people to panic and judge their hair transplant as a failure whether it be 2, 4 or 6 months post op. Thanks for sharing! 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Gatsby said:

Your growth is really coming along nicely m. Also your post should serve as a sticky to remind people that patience is paramount after surgery. There is no need for people to panic and judge their hair transplant as a failure whether it be 2, 4 or 6 months post op. Thanks for sharing! 

Yea I would have saved myself a lot of grief by not inspecting the hairs for 6 months. 

I'd love to hear any suggestions for the second op. I'm guessing another 2k to for the top? I don't have the thickest donor supply : 

1 hair grafts-  903

2 hair grafts-  1136

3 hair grafts-  411

4 hair grafts-  79

Total-  2529 grafts/ 4724 hairs. 

• Administrators

Looks like good growth, are you on meds?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

25 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Looks like good growth, are you on meds?

No meds at all. I tried minox but my resting heart rate elevated and I'm not messing around with that. I do use the Regenpure shampoo a couple times per week and that's it. I understand that I'll continue to thin, just don't want to spend my 40's bald if I can fight it off. 

Looks great.

If it were me, at least based on these photos, I wouldn’t even go for a 2nd op.  You look good.  I’d save grafts and wait to see how much worse my situation gets in the next 10+ years, as you’re not on meds, then reconsider.

But of course, if you’re still unsatisfied, by all means go for surgery number 2.  You still have more donor supply readily available.

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Mthwehwe said:

No meds at all. I tried minox but my resting heart rate elevated and I'm not messing around with that. I do use the Regenpure shampoo a couple times per week and that's it. I understand that I'll continue to thin, just don't want to spend my 40's bald if I can fight it off. 

Yea given that you’re not on any meds, would be a good idea to hold off on surgery until you need it further down the line. I would seriously consider getting on topical finasteride. Something is better than nothing. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, John1991 said:

I thought topical dutasteride went less systemic.  Given that, plus it's increased effectiveness, wouldn't that be a better option?

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Yea given that you’re not on any meds, would be a good idea to hold off on surgery until you need it further down the line. I would seriously consider getting on topical finasteride. Something is better than nothing. 

I thought topical fin had to go system in order to work? So the effects would be the same? 

can you explain the point in waiting before a 2nd op? If the new hairs are going to be DHT resistant, then it seems like I can go ahead and get them in place now and enjoy them longer. But maybe I’m missing something?