hair worsens on finasteride before it gets better?

im on day 54 rn of using oral finasteride, my hair seems to be the same, maybe worse? ive been losing a lot of hair in the sink consistently since starting. anyways, when can i expect the worsening of my hair to stop?

Give it time and trust the process! Don’t obsess. I legit thought my hair was in a worst state at 6 months after starting fin and considered quitting. After one year I  reassessed my initial photos and found I had improved on baseline. Now I’m at 3 years and I’ve maintained and even regrown some hair in the crown .. I still shed a decent amount of hair in the shower. But so does my girlfriend and she’s not losing her hair! Play the long game and enjoy your life :)

• Like 2

5 hours ago, baldbandito said:

Give it time and trust the process! Don’t obsess. I legit thought my hair was in a worst state at 6 months after starting fin and considered quitting. After one year I  reassessed my initial photos and found I had improved on baseline. Now I’m at 3 years and I’ve maintained and even regrown some hair in the crown .. I still shed a decent amount of hair in the shower. But so does my girlfriend and she’s not losing her hair! Play the long game and enjoy your life :)

thanks, that makes me feel better!

• Like 1

Denez22,

Many men who use finasteride will experience a temporary hair shedding within the first three months of use. This is a sign that the medication is actually working although it can be frustrating to the individual because sometimes the hair will look thinner or worse before it starts looking better or thicker.  But rest assured, any hair that sheds as a result of finasteride beginning to do its job will return and come in thicker and fuller.

I hope this helps

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.