Oral Minoxidil/Finasteride Compound

andrewfaliro

Hey everyone,

I have seen quite a few comments about not being able to get oral minoxidil that easily in various threads.

I can get it pretty easily here in Greece from BHR but I just wanted to share for those of you living the US, McGrath Medical based in Austin, TX does a compound of 1 mg finasteride, 5mg oral minoxidil, and 1 mg biotin all in one single pill. I believe it's $120 for a 90 day supply with free shipping.

I know this because I did one of my very first consultations (online) with him a few years ago and he suggested I try that out for a while before committing to surgery. 

Before someone asks, I am not getting paid or anything I just wanted to pass it along for those who were on the hunt!

• Administrators

I’m wondering what would be the allure of compounding it orally? Is it for convenience so you only take one pill per day? 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

It’s really not that hard to get an oral min prescription in the US. I called up a few local dermatologists and easily found several who have experience prescribing oral min. Oral min is free through my insurance but also dirt cheap without insurance.

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Tiger2050 said:

It’s really not that hard to get an oral min prescription in the US. I called up a few local dermatologists and easily found several who have experience prescribing oral min. Oral min is free through my insurance but also dirt cheap without insurance.

Ah ok, thats good to hear. I wasn't aware it was that easy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 6:28 PM, andrewfaliro said:

Hey everyone,

I have seen quite a few comments about not being able to get oral minoxidil that easily in various threads.

I can get it pretty easily here in Greece from BHR but I just wanted to share for those of you living the US, McGrath Medical based in Austin, TX does a compound of 1 mg finasteride, 5mg oral minoxidil, and 1 mg biotin all in one single pill. I believe it's $120 for a 90 day supply with free shipping.

I know this because I did one of my very first consultations (online) with him a few years ago and he suggested I try that out for a while before committing to surgery. 

Before someone asks, I am not getting paid or anything I just wanted to pass it along for those who were on the hunt!

I live in Greece, what is BHR??? I asked at the pharmacies and they told me there is no oral minoxidil....

On 8/23/2022 at 7:12 PM, Melvin- Moderator said:

I’m wondering what would be the allure of compounding it orally? Is it for convenience so you only take one pill per day? 

It's not only for convenience, topical minoxidil causes dermatitis and increased hairloss quite often( I had to stop using it) and also some people don't have minoxidil sulfotransferase to turn the topical into the active form. That doesn't exist with the oral

1 hour ago, irin said:

I live in Greece, what is BHR??? I asked at the pharmacies and they told me there is no oral minoxidil....

Hello, BHR stands for Bisanga Hair Restoration although I don't know how much involvement he has with the clinic nowadays.

You can email maria@bhrclinicathens.gr for the prescription.

18 hours ago, andrewfaliro said:

Hello, BHR stands for Bisanga Hair Restoration although I don't know how much involvement he has with the clinic nowadays.

You can email maria@bhrclinicathens.gr for the prescription.

Thank you so much!!!