Hair Loss Prediction

1 hour ago, BaldBobby said:

The older you get the more likely you will climb the Norwood ladder because cells in your body lose their strength, including those in hair follicles. 

If I went to a doctor could they look at my shaved scalp and tell me if the hair will continue to bald?

Jodimaggio,

The only scientific tool I know of that can help with predicting hair loss is a product known as HairDX.  That said, it can’t predict how much hair loss one will experience and is a tool that’s to be used on men prior to any hair loss to determine whether or not they have the gene(s) that make them susceptible to androgenetic alopecia.

So if you are already experiencing hair loss, then the tool really is invalid and of no use because you already know you’re experiencing hair loss.  That said, it would be great if they are able to develop a product or tool that will help individuals determine exactly how much her loss they will experience in the long term and how long it will take to get there, etc.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Being seen in person and under magnification can also give a good indication of any miniaturisation, (a pre-cursor to loss), that you won't always see from longer hair or photos. So while no one has a crystal ball, an in-depth personal consultation can highlight some likely scenarios and areas of early signs of thinning and the need for early intervention such as medication. Also family history of hairloss should be taken into account when thinking of possible loss patterns. 

All the best. 

• Like 2

I represent Dr. Bisanga.

Dr. Christian Bisanga is recommended on the Hair Transplant Network

There's no way even the best surgeon can predict with 100% certainty, but there are ways of getting a pretty good idea of how your hair loss will likely progress. Getting a proper evaluation with a top surgeon who takes into account the miniaturization levels of your hair, your family history, your own history with hair loss in regards to when it started, how slow/fast it's progressing, the pattern at which you're losing it, quality of donor hair, etc. is the best way to go about this. They can then formulate a game plan of how to move forward with a hair transplant based on all of this information. Of course, there's no crystal ball that will tell anyone the future, but this is way better than going to a surgeon who dives in blind without taking any of the other factors into account and just gives a recommendation based only on your current situation. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56