Long Term Results

Emerald

OK you hear about all sorts of good HT results after one year or two but I don't remember reading or seeing any evidence of long term effects of HT. I'd like to find out more about the results where the HT was done 5-10 years ago. Can anyone tell me (or point to messages) that proves for me that this thing will last!?

Thanks.

OK you hear about all sorts of good HT results after one year or two but I don't remember reading or seeing any evidence of long term effects of HT. I'd like to find out more about the results where the HT was done 5-10 years ago. Can anyone tell me (or point to messages) that proves for me that this thing will last!?

Thanks.

Emerald . . . I'd like to second that observation. T. Galloway posted on 31st Dec 2004. to the effect that some years down the line he is now experiencing a loss of transplanted hair . . . but I think we still need more info on TG's case to make a measured decision. I do hope that more '5 year' H/T patients come forward.

Sorleyboy

Guys can lose hair in the donor area as they get older. Look at any senior citizen (male) they often have thin donor areas. So the hair in the donor area is NOT necessarily permanent. This may be another reason that guys should consider Avodart or Propecia (which supposedly work all over your head, not just in certain zones).

Another thing: Most of the transplants being done just 5 years ago were not good (in my opinion) with very few "all FU" transplants and very few clinics using microscopes to dissect the donor strips. Many of the doctors doing FU transplants today (and they still aren't the majority yet) were NOT doing FU transplants just 5 years ago.

As a result, as the patients of these doctors continue to lose hair (remember that hair loss is progressive) these patients will tend to look worse over time, than a guy who had the "gold standard" all-FU procedure.

Unfortunately most of the doctors in the field still don't use microscopes and still don't use an all-FU procedure.

Bottom line, get an all-FU transplant because that will tend to look better than other procedures (Minigrafts, mixed grafts, "Varigrafting") even if you continue to lose hair. And stopping (or drastically slowing) the progression of hair loss is crucial, whether you get a transplant or not.

I have observed the same thing as Arfy noted on older men. That is a general thinning "throughout" the entire scalp. My own father (75 years old) has this type of thinning yet he never had androgenetic alopecia (MPB) in his entire life. He always had a very thick head of hair until his mid sixties or so. My own clinical opinion is that the hair follicules remain in telogen (rest phase) for longer periods and anagen (growth phase) for shorter periods as men reach retirement or senior ages. My father does not have any isolated areas of thinning like the crown or temporal lobe areas, just general thinning everywhere.

My first FU procedure was done in 1996 which was 9 years ago and still with me. My second procedure was done in 2001 and that terminal hair is still with me. The third transplant was done in 2002. So I am very thankful that I still have my transplanted hair! icon_smile.gif

I have seen many patients who had open donor (plugs) procedures done 20 -25 years ago and those plugs are still growing. So my conclusion is that there is definitely a genetic predisposition that affects us all differently regarding MPB. I only know of a few cases where the older patient lost terminal hair that was transplanted or considerable hairloss in the donor (permanent) zones. But the loss in the donor areas was unrelated to MPB. And I do agree with Arfy that hairloss is progressive, that is, once MPB starts it does not resolve itself on its own. I have seen other men and women not show evidence of MPB until 50 years of age, although that is the exception, not the rule.

The meds will buy us time but they will not cure MPB. So we can try to save the natural hair affected by DHT with meds and use transplanted terminal hair from the donor zones to fill in what is missing to try and create the most aesthetically pleasing appearance that we can within our own limitations. And hopefully this will enhance our quality of life for many years to come! Best wishes to all.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 2 weeks later...

I had several small procedures beginning in 1988 and running through 1992. I'm now 58 and the transplanted hairs are growing as good as ever. I must add that I may be in a minority, but I was very happy with the old way of doing things - plugs and minigrafts. Maybe it's because I'm tall and the transplants I had in the past were mainly in the crown area but they are virtually undectable and best of all thick.

Five months ago I had 1700 FU with a top notch surgeon to establish a new and lower hairline and the verdict is still out. The surgery went well and I had absolutely no pain post op and growth began very quickly. My concern is the new hairs have a long way to go to properly blend with my existing hairs, especially after I exercise and sweat. However, from what I read, five months post op is a bit too soon to worry about coverage, thickness and the like.