Implanting speed

What is the normal speed at which technicians/surgeons implant follicles.  

I was watching an Instagram feed from Dr. Thiago Bianco Leal, and he says that in his clinic using implanter pens, they implant at a speed of up to 3k follicles per hour (not counting pre-incisions).  Obviously that's only the implanting time, and not extractions/pre incisions/etc.

I find that really fast, as it's almost 1 follicle per second (3600 seconds in an hour).

I know from my personal experience that my own surgery lasted for less than 6-7 hours total, and I had 3361 follicles implanted.

Edited by Fue3361

Check out my journey here:

3k follicles per hour is absurdly fast even with pre made incisions. That means a hoarde of techs are loading the implanters very fast and another set of techs are implanting the grafts. With that much speed (if true) I’d be worried the grafts are experiencing trauma in exchange for a faster surgery

3 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

3k follicles per hour is absurdly fast even with pre made incisions. That means a hoarde of techs are loading the implanters very fast and another set of techs are implanting the grafts. With that much speed (if true) I’d be worried the grafts are experiencing trauma in exchange for a faster surgery

I had a team of 10 people working on me at once, so there's definitely a large team of people doing the loading at once.

• Administrators

I don’t believe faster= better. On the contrary in most cases. I know in my surgery 4,000 grafts took roughly 3 days. But that was also because I had 3 prior surgeries. One hour sounds way to low for 3,000 grafts. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

3 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I don’t believe faster= better. On the contrary in most cases. I know in my surgery 4,000 grafts took roughly 3 days. But that was also because I had 3 prior surgeries. One hour sounds way to low for 3,000 grafts. 

I don’t think faster is necessarily better either.  I was just asking if people have an idea of what the normal speed for implanting is, as 3k per hour seemed very fast to me.