Does your final norwood show early on?

jr1986

For someone who is diffusing does your pattern show early or can some areas be 100% intact only to begin balding later on?

I read on a forum before that this was the case but maybe its wrong.

For example, a 40 Yr old that has diffuse temples and forelock but has zero crown thinning is it safe to say that area is probably safe?

For the hairline, I would say by age 30 you may be able to forecast what your "end Norwood" will be in life. 

The crown unfortunately is a total crapshoot. Final form of crown loss can and often does not occur until much later in life

ex. My dad had very very minor, unremarkable, and stable crown loss. But once he hit 60 his crown loss really progressed significantly and even now just 2 years later his crown loss is pretty significant. 

• Like 2

Jr1986,

The truth is, everybody is different and there is no exact age where hair loss will start and end. That said, when hair loss begins, it typically continues until it’s genetically programmed to stop. It rarely stops and then randomly on its own becomes aggressive and continues.  That said I’m not going to say that it’s impossible.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Thanks for the replies, was just wondering as I seem to diffusing behind the hairline to form an island at the front. But I have zero crown or vertex loss but been slowly thinning at the front for years. 

Was just curious if I was likely to go on to thin in the crown and vertex later in life.

I got finasteride in the post yesterday some I'm probably going to try a very low dose for a few weeks and see how it affects me then maybe increase.

• Moderators

If you have diffuse thinning that looks like it is in a defined area, some people claim that your pattern is already known, but the area can still widen/expand a lot over the years.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

If you have diffuse thinning that looks like it is in a defined area, some people claim that your pattern is already known, but the area can still widen/expand a lot over the years.

+1

• Like 1

I'll be 60 in 2 months. Haven't been on medication as I have been pretty much stable for over a decade. Can't believe how much my crown has deteriorated in the last  6 months. I didn't notice until recently because I never looked at it (wear a hat most days as I'm retired and can't be bothered to style it up). 

• Sad 1

• 3 weeks later...

I am assuming you are asking about the pattern when the individual is not taking medication.

Its hard to actually see the final pattern in any case since its widely assumed that once you start balding you are more then likely continue to bald until you later days but its also possible that it stops at a given age/time but this is very hard to measure.

Your safest bet is taking Finasteride for life and keep the hair for life.

It is hard to predict the final pattern, family history is only a guideline. General rule of thumb is, earlier you start, your final destination is a very high Norwood.

That is why I would advise most patients to assume they will end up Norwood 6. A low % of the population actually ends up Norwood 7 anyway, and with a Norwood 6 with smart donor management, you can still get a very solid head of hair if you choose the right clinic.

Jr1986,

It honestly depends on the individual. But many who experience diffuse thinning will show their final pattern relatively early on. But it might take years for all the hair within that pattern to fall out.  On the other hand, it may take many years for the final hair loss pattern to establish itself and there may be many years that go by without progression of the hair loss pattern.  Then all the sudden, it could happen.

As I said, it really depends on the individual and the truth is, her loss can be hard to predict.

Family history of hair loss can only be used as a guide but it’s not a guarantee.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.