Can finasteride cause dandruff or dry skin?

10 minutes ago, BaldV said:

Anyone experienced that with fin?

I personally had dandruff issues before starting Finasteride but i've taken some action to try address it. 

Firstly was a Vitamin D deficiency which doesn't help. I now regularly take a Vit D pill daily after the doctors medical grade prescription was completed. I'm also trying my best to drink 2-3ltrs of water a day. 

I would also recommended Neutrogena T-Gel for those who it's also quite rough on and lastly changing the water from hot to cool when on my scalp seems to be working quite well which was a tip i picked up here. 

I would say the medication didn't personally cause me more dandruff. 

I doubt it. I remember having dandruff last year and after 5 months of using Nizoral it completely stopped.  I don't use that shampoo anymore and I dont have dandruff either. It's as if that shampoo permanently removed the dandruff somehow. I was surprised 

2 hours ago, Mike10 said:

It can

16 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

because fin messes with your hormones. there is interaction between skin and hormones

Literally the first answer on Google. Back up your point with some medical literature to show a correlation please. 

Dandruff is a dermatological issue. 

IMG_20220812_144437.png

BaldV,

My first question is whether you are taking oral finasteride or topical finasteride. Oral finasteride will not cause dandruff or any kind of scalp condition that I’m aware of. Topical finasteride on the other hand, is a whole different animal. That said, it’s stated that topical finasteride is fairly gentle on the scalp and doesn’t contain ingredients such as propylene glycol like topical minoxidil does

On the other hand, if there is an ingredient in the topical finasteride solution that you are allergic to or sensitive to in someway, it’s possible that it could be creating this issue.

People who say that finasteride does not cause these problems at all are likely reading information on and/or referring to oral finasteride.  But like I said, even with topical finasteride, this isn’t a common issue but if you are sensitive to any of the topical ingredients outside of the finasteride itself, it could be causing or even exacerbating dry, itchy scalp or even dandruff.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

ever

50 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Literally the first answer on Google. Back up your point with some medical literature to show a correlation please. 

Dandruff is a dermatological issue. 

IMG_20220812_144437.png

there is anecdota evidence that Fin can do this. Every Dermatologist will agree that there is an undeniable relationship between skin and hormones https://helloclue.com/articles/cycle-a-z/skin-and-the-cycle-how-hormones-affect-your-skin. If and how it affects depends on the person. It is what it is. 

Just now, sukh123 said:

Do you mean face and body skin , making it dryer? 

Yep that can be a side of Fin for some, especially if you already have a tendancy for dry skin. Like with every medication that affects your hormones it can affet your skin condition 

Just now, Mike10 said:

Yep that can be a side of Fin for some, especially if you already have a tendancy for dry skin. Like with every medication that affects your hormones it can affet your skin condition 

Yeh it reduces sebum production , which is why for some it helps with acne . But your right if you have dry skin to begin with then it might make it dryer.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BaldV said:

Referring  to scalp

Oh well yes it can because as I talked about it above it. reduces sebum production, which can be counterproductive for some if they have already dry scalp. For some it works well because they have very oily skin . I’m not a expert but dry skin you want to avoid I would think  as it’s not optimum conditions for your hair.

Edited by sukh123

4 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

BaldV,

My first question is whether you are taking oral finasteride or topical finasteride. Oral finasteride will not cause dandruff or any kind of scalp condition that I’m aware of. Topical finasteride on the other hand, is a whole different animal. That said, it’s stated that topical finasteride is fairly gentle on the scalp and doesn’t contain ingredients such as propylene glycol like topical minoxidil does

On the other hand, if there is an ingredient in the topical finasteride solution that you are allergic to or sensitive to in someway, it’s possible that it could be creating this issue.

People who say that finasteride does not cause these problems at all are likely reading information on and/or referring to oral finasteride.  But like I said, even with topical finasteride, this isn’t a common issue but if you are sensitive to any of the topical ingredients outside of the finasteride itself, it could be causing or even exacerbating dry, itchy scalp or even dandruff.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I am taking oral fin and have developed some dandruff and dry skin, thanks for taking your time to answer