Topical 5AR blockers on implanted beard hair

Wow, never crossed my mind, but indeed DHT inhibition should hurt beard/BHT hair, and thinking long-term most likely there will be more potent anti-androgen topicals in the future I wonder how does this change my HT planning 😅.

I guess you could basically apply it on just the temple area and not the parts with BHT?

2 hours ago, RTC said:

Has anybody had any experience with beard hairs implanted on the scalp and the effect topical fin or dut may have on them?

Your beard hairs will over time adapt more and more to the recipient area and take on some of its characteristics.

"Donor dominance theory" is only partially true, not 100% true.

So, as your beard hair adapts, it will also benefit from the finasteride or dutasteride as well.

7 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

Your beard hairs will over time adapt more and more to the recipient area and take on some of its characteristics.

I am very curious about this. Does this mean that if you have straight hair and a curly beard your beard hairs that are transplanted on top will eventually adapt and become straight hairs? 

I think there was a video of Dr Mwamba explaining this. I cant remember when/where I saw it.

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

9 minutes ago, asterix0 said:

"Donor dominance theory" is only partially true, not 100% true.

So, as your beard hair adapts, it will also benefit from the finasteride or dutasteride as well.

What do you mean? It is known that DHT promotes beard and body hair growth but also causes scalp baldness, so his question is pretty legit. I doubt a BHT hair will switch its genetic because you moved it up the scalp. That said, most people dont lose any beard on Dutasteride anyway. But I seen some cases of people losing a bit of body hair, so that makes you wonder if chest hair transplant would be at risk.

58 minutes ago, mister_25 said:

I am very curious about this. Does this mean that if you have straight hair and a curly beard your beard hairs that are transplanted on top will eventually adapt and become straight hairs? 

I think there was a video of Dr Mwamba explaining this. I cant remember when/where I saw it.

Yes, but not completely I think. It will adapt somewhat and become more manageable to style.

56 minutes ago, WhereIsMyMind said:

What do you mean? It is known that DHT promotes beard and body hair growth but also causes scalp baldness, so his question is pretty legit. I doubt a BHT hair will switch its genetic because you moved it up the scalp. That said, most people dont lose any beard on Dutasteride anyway. But I seen some cases of people losing a bit of body hair, so that makes you wonder if chest hair transplant would be at risk.

It absolutely will, but partially. How much is likely an open scientific question and hard to quantify, it is likely per individual, just like mpb in general.

This is why BHT transplant works, because the beard hair adopts the characteristics of the scalp slightly and allows you to style it more like you would your native hair.

Chest hair is much more different to your scalp hair than beard hair so it will less so adapt I think.

@RTC I don’t have definitive proof of this but I think once beard hairs are stimulated by dht/test and begin to grow then 5ari’s don’t affect them much. On the other hand I’ve seen cases of people transitioning with hardcore hormones and their facial hair/body hair does decrease

anecdote: my brother has been on fin off and on the last ~25 years and he has a full beard.