Considering Transplant

Hi everyone-

I’ve been reading the forum for some time - but this is my first post. 

I have been on finastride for 2 years now and have had 3 PRP treatments. Photos of my hair below. I am so sick of my thinning crown showing up in photos and the thinning hairline in the front. It really affects my self esteem and overall well being. I was excited to learn about the potential of a hair transplant, and wanted your thoughts and advice. I have consulted with people at what I realized were hair mills - and quickly got out of the conversation. I now have an opportunity to book with Dr. Yaman who recommended around 4100 grafts.

I have seen mixed reviews so just wanted all of your thoughts because everyone seems to have good knowledge about this potentially life changing treatment. I value your input and thank you! 

4A1F782D-7A2F-4AB9-B2C9-715973F47A46.jpeg

E3B95D56-F6F5-41A5-92F6-602C8BC1B6D4.jpeg

324E2C21-F718-4F3C-B3F5-8F4022E1201E.jpeg

59B7FA2B-51DD-43B4-9161-596C4871E496.jpeg

1853ABE2-113B-4F5A-9E5E-DAC16707B4BD.jpeg

4F3872FB-3320-47B0-A0CA-65B2E768AF00.jpeg

1843D82C-7C93-4384-A4B9-D6883971CA90.jpeg

F948CB70-ABD9-4B7C-B6DB-D65962EDC4A5.jpeg

B491C568-35D0-4F60-BFAD-42EECA1F6692.jpeg

Edited by Ctm88
Additional photos

Your hairline is still pretty strong. The midscalp and crown are a graft black hole but definitely, getting 4100 grafts plus concealer if needed would cinch the appearance of a full head of hair in photos.

PS Don't expect it to look perfect under harsh lighting or bright sunlight, even people with zero hairloss can exhibit a see-through scalp effect in those conditions. What you look like in regular photos and regular everyday environments should be your indicator of success. 

Diffuse thinning is a pain in the behind. It’s good that you can tolerate meds.

Unfortunately you’re thinning throughout and I think will be a higher Norwood. I’d say that if you’re fine not trying to bring the hairline down and working with what you’ve got — like @StillAlivementioned, the hairline is quite good — you can probably achieve solid density throughout. Keep in mind that given the nature of loss, I think you’re better off doing smaller sessions of 2k-3k grafts at a time because you may lose the thinning native hair with time and won’t use all your donor in one go.

Ctm88,

For starters, how old are you? The first picture was clearly taken under harsh lighting because in the other photos, it looks like you have a lot more natural hair.  My second question is, are you taking any hair loss medication such as finasteride or minoxidil?

Considering you are a diffuse thinner with thinning hair all over the top of your scalp, I strongly recommend you get on finasteride and use it for at least one year prior to  undergoing hair transplant surgery.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Diffuse thinning such as yours I think is tricky to deal with as far as HT's because you risk inflicting shock loss on native hairs. That said, I think the right step is to have an in-person consultation with a few reputable Dr's and see what they think. 

I also would say not to invest any more into PRP. It certainly doesn't hurt I think but the cost/benefit seems to be lacking. 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

I also want to have a hair transplant. And I have some concerns. But I think, we can get the answer from the best doctors. I think we should test first whether our scalp is suitable for hair transplantation. After that, we can get clear information, from the doctors about the necessary preparations.