how to easily manage the "ugly duckling" phase?

I'm 7 weeks post HT, and waiting is getting more and more difficult.. Now since I have a tendency to look for new signs of growth everytime I see a mirror I had just put all the hand-held mirrors I own in a closet, plus I've put a towel on the big mirrors which I take off only when shaving.

That's stupid, I know! :D But I do feel it makes things easier. 

I actually do plan to do this for the next 4 weeks (meanwhile, my native hair will catch back, hopefully, after it suffered a pretty harsh shock-loss).

Any tips from the veterans? :) 

Or just tell me I'm crazy 😅

Yan Bio,

I think most hair transplant patients do what you doung and ultimately check the mirror multiple times a day - looking for new signs of growth. I know personally, I would feel the top of my scalp and if I felt anything that felt like peach fuzz, I would run to the mirror and take a look.

The truth is however, looking in the mirror and feeling your scalp isn’t going to speed up growth and if anything, it’s just going to make you more anxious and in a sense slow time down.  As they say, a watched pot never boils.

As for tips, there’s really nothing anybody can say or suggest to speed up time. However, if you can find some things to distract yourself knowing that you’re not really going to see new signs of growth for at least several weeks, you’ll be in good shape and not as anxious.

Think of things you like to do and do them. Put on a hat and try not to look in the mirror that often.  That’s really the best advice I can give you in terms of being patient.  

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

I am 2 months post op. I want to think about my hair transplant as little as possible until the results actually start coming in. 

So last week I got a #3 buzz cut and it looks freaking amazing. Plus, I'm thinking about my hair a lot less since there is less of it. 

Essentially - get a buzzcut until you are out of the ugly duckling phase

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I am 2 months post op. I want to think about my hair transplant as little as possible until the results actually start coming in. 

So last week I got a #3 buzz cut and it looks freaking amazing. Plus, I'm thinking about my hair a lot less since there is less of it. 

That’s actually an interesting idea 🧐

• Thanks 1

Honestly, i'm in the peak ugly duckling phase and it's tough. Because atm in this phase, you had hair shed off and then mentally it causes you to start a "What if?!" situation of all sorts in your head. 

I'm just taking things one day at a time and trying not to focus on the hair too much, as difficult as that is. I'm hoping by the time i get to Month 4 and beyond, the growth will become more "normal" and filled in where it also shed. 

I also have to mentally prepare that i could be a slow grower and wait even longer but i think the biggest thing you always need to remember is that it's best to allow 12-18 months for the maximum period. Moreso 12 months than 18 unless you had the crown done too. 

I feel like right now, the weirdest part is seeing the disconnect between the native hair and where its been implanted and it looks "odd" so that's the phase you try to hope you get past ASAP. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Can you post pictures before and after the buzz cut?

@Yan bio - here's what worked for me:

I got a macro lens for my iPhone (you can probably find one for $10 online). The lens magnifies the scalp and allows me to see the hair growing before it is visible to the naked eye.

I'm at 7 weeks post op and already seeing some hair sprouting. First, it was white & wispy, but I can now see that it's gradually turning black and thick. Again, it's very subtle only visible through the macro lens and not to the naked eye. I was looking for this reassurance since I suffered from infection and major shock loss and now look much worse than I did pre-op. To see these signs of life was reassuring and I feel confident that the growth will start being visible in 1-2 months, as expected.

Hope this helps.

I wish I could just do a buzz cut during the ugly duckling phase

My situation is unique because I basically have a Norwood 3 hair structure with a hairline and some patchy hair in between, so if I buzz it it'll look an absolute mess

My only hope is to grow it out until I can cover the patches and the hair starts growing in 

Had the same issue as you lol, the transplant caused shock loss on my scalp too.
image.png.7f6f560211041ca4a97c019fa2cc40ae.png

It looked awful for a while,
You can either wear a hat and be patient or just keep shaving it down until those follicles are ready to start growing. :)
Try to ignore your transplant and pretend as if you haven't had one.  Or look in the mirror now and say to yourself "it might look a little goofy now but in a few months I'm going to be a new person".

The worst part of a hair transplant is the waiting game,
Some follicles begin to grow at month 4, others at month 8.

It's a long process, but quite rewarding in the end. ^-^  

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 1