Scalp issue causing hair loss in transplanted area

kid

Hello everyone,

I have been suffering with a unique scalp issue for quite some time (approx 2-3yrs now) and hoping maybe someone can advise..

I will start off by explaining that I have had 2 surgeries; 1 at age 24 and the second more recently being 9 months ago. I am 39 yrs old. I am naturally NW2 having good hair characteristics but very bad receeding hairline and both surgeries were around 2000 grafts each filling in the area around hairline.

My problem is I have been suffering from a itchy scalp, concentrated on the front of my scalp only and is causing hair to fall off. The hairs grow back and the cycle keeps repeating. As I explained I noticed this problem around 3 yrs ago and started to feel like my hair was getting visibly worse (only around the front). At first I thought could be the natural hairs on my hairline however eventually became clear that even the transplanted area was getting thinner.

After suffering with the problem for around 2 yrs I decided to have my 2nd transplant as the front started looking very patchy... It's been 10 months since my surgery, and the problem still presists. The hairline looks fine but right behind it is vey patchy. As I mentioned seems like the hairs are falling off due to a scalp issue and they grow back and repeat. I remember at 5months the surgery was starting to look good and then it went south quickly. And then again about 2 months ago I felt it started to get better and then again get worse. I also can tell when my itchy scalp flares up I notice alot of hairloss when I shower or brush.

I have tried everything, from natural shampoos, to not shampooing, to showering with drinking water. I just want to known the cause.

PS. It is not from the surgery because I was suffering from the problem before the surgery and it is the main cause that pushed me to get the second surgery.

Also I sense it could be a gut related issue but I cant quite be sure and that thing that throws me off this theory is that the problem is mainly concentrated on the front of the scalp.

Has anyone come across anything like this???

I have attched few pics

Thanks

WIN_20220729_15_07_43_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220729_15_05_52_Pro.jpg

WIN_20220729_15_08_11_Pro.jpg

What clinics did you go to? Was your condition discussed at the time of the consultation?

Itchy scalp can mean a number of things.  Did you ever go to a dermatologist?

To identify the culprit and identify what exactly you're dealing with I would get a biopsy.  Short of that, it's anybody's guess.

It is important to recognize, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  As Britalien has asked, what modalities are you taking/using to help you with retention of the native hair?

You have already used a good percentage of your donor, and you still look thin.  Get this identified before you waste any more donor.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Was your condition discussed at the time of the consultation?

I did mention to the doctor but it wasnt really given much significance after mentioning it. I was hoping the doing the surgery would solve the problem.

As Britalien has asked, what modalities are you taking/using to help you with retention of the native hair?

As far as i know the only medication for this is Propecia. It was perscribed to me by the doctor after surgery however I do not take it as I do not want to get into anything that affects hormones.

It is important to recognize, if you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing

Dude I just want to remind you... the area in question, I have already lost all the hairs. We are talking about transplanted hairs! I didnt think it is possible to lose transplanted hairs?!!! 

To identify the culprit and identify what exactly you're dealing with I would get a biopsy

Seems like a good a good point to try.

Thanks 🙏

Dr. Barghouthi.

For the record I am very happy with the experience throughout. The hairline works looks great and as I mentioned at the 5 month mark it was filling in real nice and was getting compliments from people. It's just very frustrating after going through the down time of a surgery not being able to see it fully materialize and judge it fairly. It's a killer.

• Like 1

Just now, kid said:

Dr. Barghouthi.

For the record I am very happy with the experience throughout. The hairline works looks great and as I mentioned at the 5 month mark it was filling in real nice and was getting compliments from people. It's just very frustrating after going through the down time of a surgery not being able to see it fully materialize and judge it fairly. It's a killer.

Agreed, @DrTBarghouthiis a top Dr so I have to wonder if you do have some kind of scalp issue at play here, a biopsy would seem the best course of action. 
Was the first procedure with Dr Feriduni ? If so both times you have chosen some of the more elite, so it makes it more perplexing you would be losing transplanted hairs. Are you also In discussion with @DrTBarghouthiregarding this ? 

Thank you for tagging and I fully understand the awkwardness of this situation @kid

It may well be a case if telogen effluvium given the cyclical improvement/ deterioration that you experience. This means that the hair cycles at an irregular pace to normal and so growth and resting cycles are erratic. Can we start by checking some blood tests:

CBC/ Vitamin D, Zinc, Magnesium and B12. Also Ferritin and iron levels and TSH levels?

Scalp conditions can also cause this erratic cycling. It is not permanent loss, just incomplete growth during the growth or anagen phase. I would also consider a scalp biopsy at some point down the line to outrule any less common conditions. Ofcourse please feel free to contact me privately anytime to elaborate further. I’m happy to guide you further during this time or to carry any of these tests through us or through any colleagues nearer to you. 

• Like 3

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

17 hours ago, kid said:

Dude I just want to remind you... the area in question, I have already lost all the hairs. We are talking about transplanted hairs! I didnt think it is possible to lose transplanted hairs?!!! 

it's possible to lose / have them thinned. people are more open to the idea that what other people lost is native hair because many are rooted to thinking "hair transplant is a permanent solution".