4th Hair transplant, worried about section ignored by Doctor

Jnass

So on July 7th I went in for a hairline touch up from an FUE i got last year with results I wasn’t happy about. My plan was to additionally get the mid scalp area and a bit of the crown. Well when I woke up from the surgery the mid scalp area wasn’t touched and 2600 grafts went to the crown and hairline. I’m currently on Dutasteride and oral minoxidil and afraid for the mid scalp area that had been thinning out as seen in the third pic pre op. Did the doctor make the right call focusing on the crown and not touching the portion of the mid scalp area that was left untouched? This area is the one that appears in the circled area in the 2nd pic. First pic is a few days post op, 2nd pic is 2.5 weeks post op, third pic is pre op. In total I’ve had around 8000 grafts transplanted with not all of them surviving. Thanks for the help!

CBAE938B-DABD-48E0-9501-313119FAA9A4.png

2C876EFC-2606-4C80-ACCD-9865EC4A3A58.jpeg

6F3E2F85-88B1-457E-84C9-055E141D011A.jpeg

• Administrators

Is the last picture how it looks grown out? 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Is the last picture how it looks grown out? 

yes, that was prior to the last surgery. the hair is spread out to the sides on purpose to show the thinning 

Edited by Jnass

• Moderators

Was that area transplanted previously? Because if it's already all transplanted hair in the mid scalp then you are probably fine as it shouldn't be thinning any further. I think if you have a lot of area to cover it's better to have some thinness in the mid scalp rather than the crown because the top of the mid scalp is the area least likely to be seen by anyone. It's the easiest area to cover with surrounding hair if you do a side part.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

31 minutes ago, BeHappy said:

Was that area transplanted previously? Because if it's already all transplanted hair in the mid scalp then you are probably fine as it shouldn't be thinning any further. I think if you have a lot of area to cover it's better to have some thinness in the mid scalp rather than the crown because the top of the mid scalp is the area least likely to be seen by anyone. It's the easiest area to cover with surrounding hair if you do a side part.

Thanks for your response! It hasn't been transplanted previously that's why the skin there is lighter in color compared to the crown and the frontal third. 11 years of Finasteride and 1 year of Dustasteride and Oral Minoxidil have helped maintain it. Initially before the surgery my plan was to cover the mid scalp and a bit of the crown and then SMP the crown, but looks like now I'll have to SMP the mid scalp. I had read SMP is really good in the crown which is why I wasn't happy when I woke up and saw the focus of the surgery on the crown and not the mid scalp.

Edited by Jnass