Why transplanted hairs tend to have a different direction (in many cases) than the native hairs?

Maybe I am biased bc in my journey I have indeed had truly badly angled hair implanted, but at the same time I definitely have noticed that many "successful" and non-botched" hair transplants have hair that goes upwards and/or is overly rigid. 

I've noticed many hair transplant people have the same hairstyle as well. Its always slicked upwards and/or slicked back. I think in part this is to account for the transplant hair angling more upwards

I rarely see post op pictures of anyone with a side-part, which makes sense with this theory bc its incredibly hard to have a side part if transplant hair is going upwards. 

Edited by HappyMan2021

21 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

Maybe I am biased bc in my journey I have indeed had truly badly angled hair implanted, but at the same time I definitely have noticed that many "successful" and non-botched" hair transplants have hair that goes upwards and/or is overly rigid. 

I've noticed many hair transplant people have the same hairstyle as well. Its always slicked upwards and/or slicked back. I think in part this is to account for the transplant hair angling more upwards

I rarely see post op pictures of anyone with a side-part, which makes sense with this theory bc its incredibly hard to have a side part if transplant hair is going upwards. 

Many - if not most - of the successful post-op transplants I see have a normal side part.  Perhaps we're looking at different surgeons results.  It could also be that people are specifically trying to show off their hairline as much as possible in before/after comparisons and so that's simply the way to best expose the entirety of the hairline.  

Edited by John1991

I think it's due to donor characteristic, and the thickness. Our natural front have very fine hair, and they are easier to style, meanwhile our donor are far thicker, even more so if you're suffering from baldness as your scalp hair continues to thin.

All my progress photos are with hair slicked up/back.  I don't wear it that way.  It is simply the best way to show how good/bad the hairline work is.  

I’m sure many others wear their hair differently to how they show it in progress pictures.

• Like 2

Check out my journey here:

@John1991Even i have seen normal part in certain results but most results have hair spiked upwards. Not only that even with parting it doesn't look as close to what natural parting looks to be very honest.

6 minutes ago, Adier said:

@John1991Even i have seen normal part in certain results but most results have hair spiked upwards. Not only that even with parting it doesn't look as close to what natural parting looks to be very honest.

Fue3361 basically echoed what I said. I have no clue what you’re talking about. Plenty of people part their hair “normally” after hair transplants. 

• Moderators
8 hours ago, Adier said:

@John1991Yes i understand that but still it doesn't look as natural that was my point. 

The transplanted hairs are usually thicker hairs than what is naturally found in the hairline. That's because they are taken from the back which has thicker hairs than the front. A lot of people don't realize that different areas of your scalp have different graft densities, hair shaft thickness, even curliness sometimes, so it's very hard to get a truly natural hairline that perfectly matches because natural hairlines almost always have some fine baby hairs or very thin hair shaft hairs just along the front which is very hard to duplicate unless you take fine hairs from the nape or perhaps just above the ears in some people. However those hairs tend to not be from "safe" areas and may fall out over the years.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.