Dandruff Dry Skin

Hello everyone I'm noticing some dry flaky skin around my transplanted area nothing major. I got my side temples done as well I noticed dry skin around the area again nothing major. I'm curious to know if there is a medical cause for this. 

Thanks 

44 minutes ago, Deda96 said:

Hello everyone I'm noticing some dry flaky skin around my transplanted area nothing major. I got my side temples done as well I noticed dry skin around the area again nothing major. I'm curious to know if there is a medical cause for this. 

Thanks 

Probably a combination of factors for you. Do you have any existing areas of dandruff? 

For me, i realised that my dry skin was very likely linked to 2 things. One was Vitamin D deficiency and the 2nd was not drinking enough water during the day. Since i've tried to increase my water to stay more hydrated, i still notice some dry skin but not as bad as its worst point. 

I'm just waiting atm till i can start using T-Gel and Nizoral again more regularly. I'm waiting for the 3 month mark as that's what my clinic sort of advised but i think others would probably say i could use it already 5+ weeks post-op. 

T-Gel for me was the real game changer in terms of helping with dandruff so hoping using that once a week and keeping my water intake 2-3 litres a day will help 

Hey, thanks for the response I have been dealing with dandruff for as long as I can remember mostly on the scalp area. Never the sides of my head. So that's why I was curious. If the hair transplant had anything to do with the new existing dandruff occurrence. 

Water I drink 3-4 litres a day. T-gell I've never heard of tbh. I will check it out. Do you take vitamin d supplements if so has it helped

• Valued Contributor

@Deda96 after I had my transplant in January of this year Mt scalp was extremely dry for 3-4 months. I only washed it once a week as any shampoo just seemed to dry it out even more. I’m sure it will resolve itself in time. All the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This isn't uncommon, and I dealt with similar issues after my HT as well. I've also dealt with dandruff on and off since I was a kid (and finally have it under control, thankfully). After the HT, the scalp was even more sensitive/dry than normal. I don't know the exact science behind it, but the scalp goes through a fair amount of trauma during a procedure, and it takes time for it to completely heal and find it's way back to a state of homeostasis, and the dryness is often a byproduct of that. This will likely resolve on its own, but you can check with your surgeon to see if there's something he could recommend to expedite the process if it's particularly bothersome. 

Edited by pkipling
  • Thanks 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Valued Contributor

I think we have to keep in mind that the scalp itself has undergone a lot of trauma from the invasion of surgery. I have a belief from personal experience that it takes a good 12 months for the scalp alone to recover. Let alone the results of the hair that has been transplanted. We seem to focus so much on the hair itself that we neglect the scalp as a whole. All the best!

12 hours ago, Deda96 said:

Hey, thanks for the response I have been dealing with dandruff for as long as I can remember mostly on the scalp area. Never the sides of my head. So that's why I was curious. If the hair transplant had anything to do with the new existing dandruff occurrence. 

Water I drink 3-4 litres a day. T-gell I've never heard of tbh. I will check it out. Do you take vitamin d supplements if so has it helped

I definitely think taking Vitamin D helped me. I had it diagnosed by a doctor as low and initially was given Vitamin D ampules but then k just bought regular 1000 IU and 4000 IU tablets to take once a day or every other day. 

Doesn't look like hydration is a problem for you. The T-Gel in the UK is made by Neutrogena and was the biggest help overall. 

However, one final tip that i've tried and this is not perfect by any means but i think it has helped me slightly. Use a cool temperature of water when you are washing the hair. I think it's been helping me more because even without having been able to use T-Gel, i think the buildup of dandruff has not been a massive issue for me but its still ever present. I also don't shampoo more than a few times a week. I just stick with washing the hair to the roots with water and a gentle massage to the roots.