Switch from topical minoxidil to oral - Collagen reduction?

13 hours ago, Savemyhairline said:

I kind of want to drop minoxidil too. I started fin and min one year ago and definitely saw good improvement, though being I started them at the same time I can’t tell which had more. Statistically I suppose min is more likely to have caused regrowth than the fin but who knows. Hasson is also one of my top choices so maybe I should just drop it and of course stay on fin. Haven’t had side effects with either but the potential side effects with min frighten me way more than fin ever could.

You did topical of both?

2 minutes ago, user13 said:

You did topical of both?

I do topical minoxidil and oral finasteride. I haven’t had side effects with either, though potential side effects with minoxidil imo are way scarier. Increased heart rate, facial aging being the main two. Unlikely with topical but some people have reported it. Topicals are pretty annoying as it is so ideally everything would be as simple as popping a pill but I wouldn’t ever risk my cardiovascular health over hair.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2022 at 4:07 PM, Tiger2050 said:

Dr. Victor Hasson mentioned collagen reduction with minoxidil in his IG live with Melvin. Dr. Hasson said minoxidil users have compromised scalp tissue because of collagen breakdown and it’s very obvious when they dissect strips under microscopes. My skin definitely got worse while I was on topical minoxidil for an year, I stopped after consulting with Dr. Hasson who said he says premature facial aging all the time with minoxidil.

I also switched from fin to dut about an year ago and it’s been great so far. I had some mild side effects on fin but it’s been the total opposite on dut (higher libido, stronger erections, very frequent morning wood which never happened on fin). 

Is their a recording on youtube of this IG live discussion with Hasson? I searched youtube but couldn't find it 

@Melvin- Moderator

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

Update: Roughly 3 weeks ago, I began adding in Dutasteride (5mg) every 3-4 days (roughly twice/week) while continuing with oral Finasteride (1mg) on the other days.  I've also began taking 1.25 oral Minoxidil.  I wasn't sure if that dose would be strong enough for me and how long it would take to work so I'm still applying topical Minoxidil every night.  For what its worth, I also started taking probiotics (to improve my gut health) and iron supplements (my blood test showed that I was very low).  I am still losing hair more than usual and can see hair fall in the sink daily, but can't tell if shedding or simply losing hair (this started over 6 months ago and is progressively getting worse).  I think I may increase my oral Minoxidil to 2.5mg as the hair fall is starting to stress me out.  I know that shedding can be associated with some of these treatments but since it began over 6 months ago before any new treatments, I'm concerned that it isn't the good shed where replacement hair will be coming soon.  Appreciate any feedback, good or bad.  Thanks.  

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, Steady45 said:

@jim1973

Sorry to hear brother. Still on the dutasteride and oral minoxidil? Have you considered microneedling as well?

Yes, still taking oral FIN 5 days/week, oral DUT 2 days/week (spaced every 3 days).  Still taking oral MIN daily, using laser helmet twice/week and shampooing with Keto 2% twice/week.  Have had 3 sessions of microneedling with my derm 3 months in a row and going for 4th session in 2 weeks.  I don't really think much is left for me to try.  I scheduled a HT for August but if I can't maintain what I have, I may need to cancel and concede sadly.  

On 7/14/2022 at 7:07 PM, Savemyhairline said:

I do topical minoxidil and oral finasteride. I haven’t had side effects with either, though potential side effects with minoxidil imo are way scarier. Increased heart rate, facial aging being the main two. Unlikely with topical but some people have reported it. Topicals are pretty annoying as it is so ideally everything would be as simple as popping a pill but I wouldn’t ever risk my cardiovascular health over hair.

facial aging is a side of topical minoxidil or for the oral version too?

On 1/21/2023 at 10:09 PM, Savemyhairline said:

People have reported either, though oral would be more likely for the same reason oral more effectively strengthens your hair.

i thought the aging side was only for topical version cause the lotion touches the skin

1 minute ago, AndyFreecs said:

i thought the aging side was only for topical version cause the lotion touches the skin

here’s a pretty good video on it. I wouldn’t worry too much about the aging skin as long as you’re not going overboard with the dosage or using it on your face. I would be way more worried about the potential heart issues with oral minoxidil than anything “aging”-related. I have a theory that a lot of people who use the stuff and claim they have seen facial aging, have been just naturally aging. You’re not gonna look the same at 35 as you do 25, whether you use minoxidil or not. These also happen to be the age ranges many start on minoxidil.