Looking for some advice

Hi folks

Looking for some advice. Currently 38 and have been losing hair for a while now. It hasn't bothered me too much and I have been shaving it throughout the COVID lockdown. At the moment I shave down to about 0.5mm a few times a week. 

After seeing some good post HT results I have started to do some research on possible HT options and have been reading through the site (really informative). I don't plan on rushing any decisions and will be speaking to various clinics before I decide to pursue or not.

I am based in the UK but would trav and I currently take no hair losse medication.

Based on the pictures what is the estimated amount of grafts that will likely be required?

Thanks 

IMG_20220621_210045_edit_237773798676738.jpg

IMG_20220621_210747_edit_237731755427265.jpg

IMG_20220621_202643_edit_237498852506467.jpg

IMG_20220621_210550_edit_237433656860123.jpg

IMG_20220621_210437_edit_237358428904405.jpg

More than anything else the member @Shazam84should take clearer photos and in the sunlight, I'm not sure the best estimate can be had with longer hair, in any case from what you can see from these photos, the area donor seems a bit poor to me, but only a surgeon, with a more accurate and in-person examination, can give an exact estimate of how many grafts he would be able to collect.

• Thanks 1

Shazam,

I think it’s good that you found this community and that you’re going to take your time researching the procedure and the best doctors that perform it.  When did you first start losing your hair? At 38 years old, I imagine that your hair loss pattern is already pretty well established. The good news, despite obvious thinning is you still have a pretty good amount of natural hair on top of your scalp.

At this point, would you consider your hair loss aggressive or gradual?  And are you currently taking any hair loss medication such as Propecia/finasteride or Rogaine/minoxidil?  If not, why not and are you open to it?

Finasteride in particular may really help slow down, stop or even reverse the progression of male pattern baldness. While you have a good amount of natural hair on top of your scalp, it’s hard to tell how much of that is in the miniaturization process. Those that are miniaturizing will inevitably fall out and will affect your overall hair density and appearance. Finasteride may help reverse the miniaturization process and improve the overall cosmetic appeal and thickness of your hair. What it won’t do however, is grow hair and completely bald areas. Only hair transplant surgery can do that.

So in my opinion, since you aren’t rushing into surgery, I would recommend That you consider getting on Finesse ride and then use this community to research all surgeons year considering. View examples of results presented by both the clinics and their patients. Talk to and meet with real patients if possible whether in person or via video chat and consult with the 3 to 5 surgeons you are most impressed with. After enough time and enough research you should have enough information to select a surgeon based on a proven ability of producing, consistent outstanding results which is the only real way to ensure you get the best outcome.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 6/22/2022 at 2:00 AM, Shazam84 said:

Hi folks

Looking for some advice. Currently 38 and have been losing hair for a while now. It hasn't bothered me too much and I have been shaving it throughout the COVID lockdown. At the moment I shave down to about 0.5mm a few times a week. 

After seeing some good post HT results I have started to do some research on possible HT options and have been reading through the site (really informative). I don't plan on rushing any decisions and will be speaking to various clinics before I decide to pursue or not.

I am based in the UK but would trav and I currently take no hair losse medication.

Based on the pictures what is the estimated amount of grafts that will likely be required?

Thanks 

IMG_20220621_210045_edit_237773798676738.jpg

IMG_20220621_210747_edit_237731755427265.jpg

IMG_20220621_202643_edit_237498852506467.jpg

IMG_20220621_210550_edit_237433656860123.jpg

IMG_20220621_210437_edit_237358428904405.jpg

It is difficult to evaluate your scalp with the length of hair that you have shared in your pictures. You should grow them out longer for a proper evaluation.

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Egy said:

@Eugenix Hair SciencesBut isn't it with such short hair that a surgeon is able to better assess the real consistency of a donor area?  With long hair, could it not be misleading about the actual number of grafts that the donor area can provide?

No, it will not be misleading with longer hair. His hair needs to be a little bit longer for a proper evaluation.