Advice on HT (Afro. Pics Attached)

Hi, I'm in the beginning stages of learning about hair transplants for afro hair and just wanted some feedback on what I should look for and expect with my situation. I'm African American, early 30's, in the U.S. and my thinning has been the same for over 5 years now. It's not that noticable when it's brushed and cut properly but it looks bad enough to where I wear a hat most of the time especially if isnt freshly cut. The thinning is just on the top/middle. Everywhere else is pretty thick. Like really thick when it grows out. I guess my main concerns at this point is if im a good candidate first of all, around how many grafts am I looking, how much money I should have saved up, what Doctors I should be looking at and anything else worth noting. I know I will eventually need to see an actual doctor but I just wanted to get a good feel out here before moving forward. Thanks. 

466F36A8-BE66-44F4-BB3A-D74572D5F44E.jpeg

0DDFFC80-67D3-45DC-8360-37DE8277E409.png

AE6219D0-B0CA-46FA-90B6-C4C95CFF0DD3.png

0F9F8CA3-5C00-4FAC-96F8-9C912B69BC5F.png

Edited by robcrank88

• robcrank88 changed the title to Advice on HT (Afro. Pics Attached)
  • Administrators

Are you on medication? You may want to consider getting on topical finasteride. The area can definitely be fixed without surgery. In my opinion, surgery is an extreme solution for your case. A couple of shakes of fibers and you would look 💯 better.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Are you on medication? You may want to consider getting on topical finasteride. The area can definitely be fixed without surgery. In my opinion, surgery is an extreme solution for your case. A couple of shakes of fibers and you would look 💯 better.

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am on oral finasteride but not topical. I will look into the topical variation, though. Thanks!

• Administrators
1 minute ago, robcrank88 said:

Thanks so much for the quick reply. I am on oral finasteride but not topical. I will look into the topical variation, though. Thanks!

Look into hair fibers. This guy is much worse than you, but looks really good after using fibers

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

4 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Look into hair fibers. This guy is much worse than you, but looks really good after using fibers

Personally for me fibers are like fake boobs, or make up. I rather not use them if there is a more permanent solution. If you are on oral finasteride, I would stay on it and not switch to topical. 

Two things I will say is 

make sure your hair loss is MPB and not styling related or scarring alopecia. The reason I say that is because the distribution is somewhat atypical. If biopsy proves MPB then go for a hair transplant. If it shows inflammation then see a dermatologist that specializes in hair. 

5 minutes ago, shiba1985 said:

Personally for me fibers are like fake boobs, or make up. I rather not use them if there is a more permanent solution. If you are on oral finasteride, I would stay on it and not switch to topical. 

Two things I will say is 

make sure your hair loss is MPB and not styling related or scarring alopecia. The reason I say that is because the distribution is somewhat atypical. If biopsy proves MPB then go for a hair transplant. If it shows inflammation then see a dermatologist that specializes in hair. 

Thanks so much. Will definitely look into the latter part and make sure it is indeed MBP. 

Rob,

The good news is, you still have vast amounts of hair and only moderate thinning in the frontal area of your scalp.  ultimately, hair transplant surgery is the same for African-Americans as it is for Caucasians however, because African-American hair is typically coarse and curly, The procedure takes a little bit more care and time to perform.  Thus, it’s imperative that you select a surgeon who is highly skilled and experienced with transplanting hair on people of various races.  dr. Rachel for example, has a plethora of experience performing hair transplant surgery on all races and ethnicities.

Also, if you’re not already, you may want to consider using finasteride which may help stop for the progression of hair loss - although I believe you did say that your hair loss is free stable at this point. It’s just something to consider.

if I can be of further help, please let me know. I can help answer any questions you have or if you would like a consult, feel free to send me a private message and I can get  something set up for you.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.