Another bald guy looking for pointers

Hey everyone. Great forum, been lurking for a bit and learning a lot.

I'm 35 and have been balding for about 7 years. Wasn't a big deal, just shaved it and it hasn't bothered me. Recently I saw a few hair transplants in person and thought they looked pretty good so I've been considering getting one. I don't mind being bald but I'd love to have options again. That being said, I'm pretty strictly interested in FUE so I can still have close-cropped hair from time to time. I have a consultation scheduled at Chicago Hair Institute in a couple weeks, but I guess Konior and Nadimi are booked so it's with their new guy Dr. Shah. We'll see how it goes, but I'm looking forward to hearing what a doc thinks of my situation.

After I got engaged last year, I told my fiance I'm growing out my skullet until the wedding. This is the first look I've had at my hair in years and wow I'm bald AF. Most of the men in my family have great hair so I'm just unlucky I guess. 

Below are some pics of my hair from yesterday. Any idea what kind of Norwood I am (I don't really understand the scale)? Does it look like I have good donor area? I have curly, blonde, and (I think) thick hair follicles, does this present any challenges/benefits? I haven't been able to find many people with hair like mine getting surgery. I do use minoxidil now and dermaroll once a week (my fiance got me into it for my face skin, but I do my scalp, too). I also have a ton of body/beard hair, will I pretty much need to use that to fix my crown? I always had a high hairline, so I'm not looking for anything aggressive post-surgery.

Thanks for reading

IMG_20220618_232625.jpg

IMG_20220618_232617.jpg

IMG_20220618_232630.jpg

IMG_20220618_232607.jpg

Edited by Tater
Spelling error

You and I have the exact same hair quality/color, and we also look similar 😂

So I think I would have been heading toward your level of Norwood scale if I hadn’t started Minoxidil and Finasteride. I too have been fairly diligent with my derma pen, and are probably at NW3A right now. 
IMO, you are definitely a good candidate for a transplant. 

Somebody can probably give a better evaluation but the overall pattern looks Norwood 6/7 with some stragglers holding on along the frontal to midscalp. 

You might in fact benefit from hopping on medication like Finasteride and Minoxodil alongside Microneedling once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm. It will certainly save as much hair as possible and it will put you imo in a better position for a hair transplant. That said, do plenty of consultations and do not rush into anything. You shouldn't make a hasty decision on something life changing. I'm also going to say that for you, a conservative design will more than likely be necessary and you have to be realistic about the density and level of coverage you can expect to achieve. 

Lateral humps look too high to be Norwood 7. I think you're a Norwood 6. I'd be a little bit careful with a ponytail because I've read that if it's too tight, it can cause damage to existing hairs, and yours is in the donor area (which you'll 100% need). 

On the bad side, you have really light looking hair. That said, curly hair is a huge plus (usually provides extra coverage) and you have a ton of body hair to use too. I think the donor doesn't look bad. Follow a doctor's advice, but I can't see them turning you down - you have a lot going for you. My guess is that they'll suggest a frontal third surgery followed by a follow-up crown surgery a year or two down the line. Good luck; keep us updated!!

• Like 1

You seem like grade VI on the Norwood Hamilton scale of baldness. You can use your scalp as well as your beard donor during your surgery. The beard hair can be uses as fillers in the mid scalp. You have a good donor area. Thick and curly hair are a plus as they will help in giving an illusion of density.

You can also use finasteride for the preservation of your pre existing hair. This medication will help in the prevention of the progression of baldness as long as you take it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tater said:

I have curly, blonde, and (I think) thick hair follicles, does this present any challenges/benefits?

I have curly hair ans thick hair follicles too. It is definitely helpful. It gives such volume and coverage.

Official representative of Eugenix Hair Sciences

Dr. Arika Bansal & Dr. Pradeep Sethi

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5crlGyTac2hlU1gHneADzQ