What do they mean by FUT has a higher yeild?

I always assumed that meant survival of grafts, but from some of the language I've read recently, it sounds like it means number of grafts that can be implanted from a donor area to recipient area. 

Some feel that more grafts can be harvested by FUT compared to FUE.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I was reading that graft survival is roughly equal between the two methods. Some doctors think you can get between 2 - 3k+ lifetime additional grafts maxing out your FUT strip before changing to FUE. Other doctors think FUE by itself will yield the same amount regardless of strip. There's at least 3 or 4 videos on this site by various doctors who discuss this I think. 

Shapiro & Josephitis (said it can be 3k+ more lifetime grafts) and Konior (mentioned that it can be up to 2k lifetime grafts) in the former group (FUT max out and then FUE).

H&W think FUE alone can equal FUT+FUE. Same with Eugenix. Also, Pitella believes that FUE alone is superior to any FUT+FUE for lifetime grafts.

I leave it to you to decide which group you want to believe. They're all top doctors. All of the former do both FUE & FUT, whereas in the latter, H&W historically worked with both, though they've shifted to FUE only as of late reflecting their new viewpoint. Eugenix and Pitella are FUE only. 

Edited by Z--
  • Like 2

I'd argue if you have very lax scalp skin in the donor, that cutting off a portion of the lax skin for 100% yield of that area theoretically must achieve more grafts, since using FUE on same area, you can't just take all the grafts, as you'd be stuck with a bald rectangle.  So cutting off that piece of skin makes al the sense in the world.

For someone without lax skin though, yield theoretically should be pretty similar.

Check out my journey here: