When To Wash Recipient?

Since my procedure, I have been cleaning the recipient area by gently pouring lukewarm water mixed with baby shampoo over the grafts and allowing to air dry. My post op packet says from day 4 post op that I may begin gently massaging the recipient area while showering.

This just seems too early to me. I see lots of people on this forum saying they didn’t do it til day 10-14. This would seem to make sense to me as consensus also seems to be that it takes around 9 or 10 days for grafts to become permanent.

Am I missing something? Does anyone else agree that day 4 seems too early? What have others done / had success with?

thanks!

Some doctors are more conservative than others.  Did you get printed post op instructions? I would follow them.  7 days post op is not unreasonable to start massaging with your figertips.

Many believe you cannot hurt grafts 3 days post op.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

13 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Some doctors are more conservative than others.  Did you get printed post op instructions? I would follow them.  7 days post op is not unreasonable to start massaging with your figertips.

Many believe you cannot hurt grafts 3 days post op.  

Yes, the post op packet I referenced in my original post are printed instructions which mention to return to “normal washing” under the section for post op days 4-10.

day 7 doesn’t seem that unreasonable, I agree. But day 4 does feel early to me.

Most surgeons are of the opinion that the grafts are well secure after 3 days which I agree with…by day 4, a gentle massage using fingertips with soapy suds to help clean the area is fine and this would include the donor area as well….just be gentle.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

I got mine from Eugenix and basically didn't do the first headwash until 7 days fully post-op. Before that i wasn't washing the donor area either but using saline spray on both. 

I didn't want to risk dislodging grafts from the position they were anchoring into early on. Once the grafts are secure 7 days post-op, i basically felt apprehensive still even doing gentle motions but little by little the scabs came off. 

Post-Op wise most will say follow your clinic instructions but Dr Mwamba for example practically lets his patients wash the recipient zone 2 days post-op and i was taken aback at that but he's highly regarded. 

Once again, the key is to be gentle.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

in my opinion washing doesnt really have an effect on graft survival. its more-so to prevent infection and other skin complications, and also obviously for aesthetic reasons. 

Even though the science says grafts are completely secure by Day 3, I can totally relate to being super anxious to massaging scabs off your scalp. 

As long as you aren't at risk of a gross skin infection and you don't mind the scabby scalp look, I say wait as long as you need until you 100% mentally feel confident to wash everything off. 

• Like 1

No harm in using only the cup washing method until day 6-7 until you feel more comfortable gently massaging the area with your fingers.  That's what I did and I had no issues.  I didn't thoroughly massage with my fingers until day 8/9.

• Like 1

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.