Minoxidil after transplant

Hello everyone,

- how often I can start using minoxidil after transplant? Also, when can I get the first session of PRP, I read some instructions saying after a month, others mention you have to wait 6 month after transplant?

- I am 10 days post transplant and I see bumps and pits in my recipient area, I know it’s too soon but is that normal? And how long usually last to get smooth scalp? 

thank you all in advance 

3E35EF00-92EE-4002-8287-127C9CD3519F.jpeg

Kerma,

Each and every hair transplant surgeon will have their own unique set of preoperative and postoperative instructions.  Thus, if you’ve heard various answers to the question, “how soon after hair transplant surgery can you use minoxidil”, that’s very likely why.

That said, I think it’s best to stop using minoxidil one month prior to hair transplant surgery and to restart it again one month after.  The absorption of minoxidil into the scalp thins the blood which is a problem during surgery. That’s why stopping it one month prior will prevent any problems during surgery.

Then, waiting one month to start using minoxidil again will allow the scalp to properly heal so that the minoxidil does not irritate the scalp causing additional inflammation or redness.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Also, do you have any additional photos showing scalp before surgery and a few more pictures showing the top of your scalp after surgery? I’m concerned because it looks like there is a gap of baldness between your hair transplant and your natural hair.  This could just be the picture so I don’t want to alarm you or anything.  But if you are losing additional natural hair behind the hair transplant, you will likely require some sequent procedures in order for it to stay looking natural.

Had there been a gradual fade of transplanted hair into your mid-scalp containing natural hair, even with additional natural hair loss, it wouldn’t require subsequent procedures to continue looking natural.

Now, i’m basing this on looking at a single picture and without knowing an additional details.  But I just wanted to make you aware of the possibility.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Also, do you have any additional photos showing scalp before surgery and a few more pictures showing the top of your scalp after surgery? I’m concerned because it looks like there is a gap of baldness between your hair transplant and your natural hair.  This could just be the picture so I don’t want to alarm you or anything.  But if you are losing additional natural hair behind the hair transplant, you will likely require some sequent procedures in order for it to stay looking natural.

Had there been a gradual fade of transplanted hair into your mid-scalp containing natural hair, even with additional natural hair loss, it wouldn’t require subsequent procedures to continue looking natural.

Now, i’m basing this on looking at a single picture and without knowing an additional details.  But I just wanted to make you aware of the possibility.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Yes I noticed that too, there hasn’t been a gradual fade in the transplant! I’m expecting that I’ll need subsequent procedure but hopefully on the short term it won’t look too odd!
I have thinning in the mid scalp area and that’s why I am hopping to start using minoxidil and Finastride to help prevent that from worsening! Not sure what to expect in terms of result or what else to do in meantime!

Other pic below after the procedure, one with hair just couple of weeks prior to the procedure!

8CC26B32-A718-40F7-BAA6-254BE0B6BFD0.jpeg

C7CF5AD6-C97D-4C75-AB7D-9A968446278A.jpeg

030C4B15-D9E0-44AF-9475-47878D49827C.jpeg