Does tweezing/plucking hairs actually weaken the hair?

I am pretty sure it's a myth. Just as people say shaving a hair makes it more coarse. 

If that was true, guys would all be shaving their head to make their hair go from fine to thick multiple times. 

Plucking the hair out basically makes it skip through its phases a lot sooner and depending on where in the cycle it was, it could extend the duration of how long that hair isn't seen for enough to have made people believe the myth. 

Yes, it just takes lots of repititions. My ex complained of thin brows after years of getting them tweezed. 10 years ago, thin brows were the craze but now that thicker ones are in style she noticed that they wouldn’t grow like they used to. The person that did her brows said over time it weakens and thins the individual hairs.

18 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Yes, it just takes lots of repititions. My ex complained of thin brows after years of getting them tweezed. 10 years ago, thin brows were the craze but now that thicker ones are in style she noticed that they wouldn’t grow like they used to. The person that did her brows said over time it weakens and thins the individual hairs.

I think eyebrows could be where the myth for other hair came from and my reasoning for this is because i believe that the hair in your eyebrows doesn't sit as deep as say your scalp hair and as a result, the tweezing etc. can cause much more trauma to the follicles over time. That's bot probably the only cause as ladies probably have a plethora of chemicals in make up which could contribute alongside hormonal issues and aging generally weakens eyebrows for people too. 

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

I think eyebrows could be where the myth for other hair came from and my reasoning for this is because i believe that the hair in your eyebrows doesn't sit as deep as say your scalp hair and as a result, the tweezing etc. can cause much more trauma to the follicles over time. That's bot probably the only cause as ladies probably have a plethora of chemicals in make up which could contribute alongside hormonal issues and aging generally weakens eyebrows for people too. 

Traction alopecia is a real thing. There are Sikhs and people that wear their hair in tight hairstyles that experience permanent hair loss. I’m sure the same mechanism that causes traction alopecia apllies to plucked hairs as well

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 5BetaReductase said:

Traction alopecia is a real thing. There are Sikhs and people that wear their hair in tight hairstyles that experience permanent hair loss. I’m sure the same mechanism that causes traction alopecia apllies to plucked hairs as well

Yeah, traction alopecia is an interesting point and similar mechanism could be at play. 

Personally i don't recommend plucking hair you might decide to keep later :D

• Valued Contributor
3 hours ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

I've seen it said numerous times that is the case but I've never ever found it to be true.. always plucking some of the surplus grafts on my hairline, but they don't grow back any weaker.. thoughts? 

If you do it enough they will. The above comments re: traction alopecia are great examples. All the best!

Theres also the theory of miniaturisation, it doesnt happen that the follicle just get smaller, but after the resting phase, the follicle that is regenerated is smaller than before, continue the cycle until it becomes miniaturised. Not sure how true it is because normally this is due to dht.

I stopped pulling my white hair a month ago due to this, i'd rather have white hair instead of no hair at all