Half Life of Finasteride

Time to do something

I've noticed that many of you are taking your finasteride every other day. This is the course my doctor also want me to begin following. As you may have seen from another of my posts, I'm a bit apprehensive to take the drug do to the many patients on here who have complained of sexual dysfunction after starting this medication. Some patients say they had no problem while others have gone so far as to say it ruined their lives. I thought a happy middle would be to start the drug every other day and give my body a 'drug holiday' as my doctor friend put it. However, I found this information to be eye opening. I'm writing word by word recommendation of manufacturer Merk for prescribers "The recommended dosage is 1 mg orally once a day.

PROPECIA may be administered with or without meals.

In general, daily use for three months or more is necessary before benefit is observed. Continued use is recommended to sustain benefit, which should be re-evaluated periodically. Withdrawal of treatment

leads to reversal of effect within 12 months".

The drug has a half life of 4.5 hours. The rule is when half life of a drug is shorter it need to be administered more frequently. All the clinical trials documented by manufacturer, done with this drug, are with its daily dose. It appears taking it every other day may be ineffective.

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts

4262 Total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro November 18, 2009

1896 grafts

760 one hair grafts

852 two hair grafts

288 three hair grafts

46 four hair grafts

3362 total hair count

Dr. Ron Shapiro July 1, 2011

1191 grafts

447 one hair grafts

580 two hair grafts

150 three hair grafts

14 four hair grafts

2113 total hair count

You are correct that the half life of Propecia is relatively short. That is why it is recommended to be taken daily. However, one must always weight the positives and negatives to determine the best course of action. If side effects can be avoided with every other day dosage, that may be more important than the length of the half life of a particular medication.

Originally posted by Time to do something:

It appears taking it every other day may be ineffective.

If people here are getting results on EOD dosage and Merck didn't test that dosage it would appear EOD may be effective.

Also even though the half life is short Merck's own studies show that DHT levels do not return to normal for 2 weeks on average in patients that have been on finasteride for I believe 3 months.

Have to agree with Phil as I have seen various studies that show DHT doesnt return to baseline for a week or more regardless of the half life.I have been taking .5 mg EOD for 12 months and it is "obviously" working for me.

HT 2006/7

I don't understand the mechanisms of the drug but if studies have shown the effects of finasteride remain in the system for a week or more, then how effective is it to take it every other day to give your body a 'drug holiday' to prevent sexual dysfunction?

NW5

Dr. Epstein July 4, 2007

2520 grafts

471 one hair grafts

1540 two hair grafts

505 three hair grafts

5070 Total hair count

Dr. Epstein August 4, 2008

2384 grafts

870 one hair grafts

1150 two hair grafts

364 three and four hair grafts