Unsure about type of hairloss

'Sup.

31 years old. My dermatologist told me I have androgenic alopecia, but I'm starting to think otherwise because:
1) I've been on oral minoxidil for 8 months now with no results other than increased body hair (started with 2.5, increased dose to 5.0)
2) the most evident place where I suffer from hairloss is on the back of my head (down to my donor area), and far as I can tell, this doesn't follow an MPB pattern)

Is it possible that this is actually traction alopecia that I inflicted on myself after many years of long hair?
And if it's something irreversible as traction alopecia, and I'm not suffering from other forms of hairloss, can this be fixed with a hair transplant? (and any guess how many grafts this area alone would require?)

image.thumb.png.c171cde1976a4e66e5261bda11f8cabf.png

• Administrators

Are you a female? Do you wear extensions and braids?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

Its hard to tell from this one close up picture.

I would say however, the layer of yellow dead skin isn't helping the situation.

Cut your hair short one time, it will be easier to remove it from your scalp. 

Then get on daily maintenance. Looks like seb derm. 

I always recommend that females differing from hair loss consult a dermatologist or trichologist to either rule out or pinpoint any non-genetic causes of hair loss.  Keep in mind that there are types of non-genetic hair loss and causes.   Non-genetic types of hair loss can be caused by various conditions, ailments, activities and behaviors. 

Nongenetic types of hair loss can include but aren’t limited to traction alopecia, alopecia areata, diffuse unpatterned alopecia (DUPA), diffused pattern alopecia (DPA), telogen Flavian, scarring alopecia, retrograde alopecia, trichotillomania, etc.  

Various causes of the above types of hair loss include but aren’t limited long-term tight braiding or ponytails, excessive intentional or unintentional hair pulling, various medications, low iron/ferret levels, hypothyroidism/hyperthyroidism, auto-immune system issues. 

I know you said a doctor diagnosed you with androgenic alopecia. But have you undergone any other tests to rule out non-genetic causes?  If not I definitely recommend doing so.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 5/27/2022 at 8:06 AM, 3101 said:

'Sup.

31 years old. My dermatologist told me I have androgenic alopecia, but I'm starting to think otherwise because:
1) I've been on oral minoxidil for 8 months now with no results other than increased body hair (started with 2.5, increased dose to 5.0)
2) the most evident place where I suffer from hairloss is on the back of my head (down to my donor area), and far as I can tell, this doesn't follow an MPB pattern)

Is it possible that this is actually traction alopecia that I inflicted on myself after many years of long hair?
And if it's something irreversible as traction alopecia, and I'm not suffering from other forms of hairloss, can this be fixed with a hair transplant? (and any guess how many grafts this area alone would require?)

image.thumb.png.c171cde1976a4e66e5261bda11f8cabf.png

Please share some more pictures for a proper evaluation.