Want FUE - Help Choosing Surgeon

I've all but decided that I'd prefer FUE simply because I like to keep my hair short.  I also don't really care about establishing a new/low hairline since I've been this norwood 4A for about 15 years (its just started to thin again on top after stagnant for a long time).  My goal now is to really maintain what I have but improve density (and probably tighten up hairline without going overboard).  That said, reading the reviews, blogs, and seeing pictures, it seems my choices are down to Shapiro, Konior, Wesley and Mohebi.  Based on what I'm trying to accomplish any input on which may be better suited for my desired look?  

20210714_220442.jpg

Ears - Back.jpeg

Top.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Greetings of the day, 

Thinning can be seen in the crown, considering the factor that you've been taking finasteride and minoxidil for several years but now it's not working. 

I will suggest you to consult with our experienced surgeons. If you want a evaluation and one-on-one with our counsellors and surgeons, Please send me a PM and I will arrange a session. 

Regards, 

Eugenix Hair Science

• Like 1

Jim1973,

When you say that hair loss medication was holding everything off but after six years it’s now not working, are you stating that your hair loss is progressing full speed ahead now? Did you switch brands on finasteride by any chance? For example, did you go from Propecia to generic finasteride or Proscar to a generic version? I’m only asking because I’ve heard situations like this where a particular brand or generic version isn’t effective and as a result, hair loss continues.

Regarding hair transplant surgery, the good news is today, FUE in skilled and experienced hands can be just as viable and produce desirable results on par with and sometimes even exceeding that of FUT/strip.

While I agree that it wouldn’t be the best idea in your case to create an extremely low and youthful looking hairline, I think you can still achieve a semi mature and natural / dense looking hairline that simply appears like you’ve either only had mild hairline recession or just a maturing hairline without any signs of male pattern baldness.

Ultimately, I think the most viable plan of action would be to graft from the front to the back with a gradual fade/decrease in density as it begins to blend in with your existing hair.  To be honest, I wouldn’t even touch the crown at this point because while there is an appearance of thinning, it’s still pretty mild and frankly, the need is greater in the front and midsection.

I think by following the above strategy, you can achieve some pretty impressive and natural looking results.

As far as surgeons, take your time and research each surgeon you’re considering. View examples of results online, talk to and meet with real patients either in person or via video chat and consult with those surgeons you are serious about.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 3 weeks later...

After doing additional research, I have decided that FUT is probably my best chance for density while maintaining donor hair in case I want to have a second surgery down the road.  I'm hoping that I can still keep my hair short after the surgery.  I'm told that 1/2" length is enough to cover an FUT scar.  Does that sound right?  

13 hours ago, jim1973 said:

After doing additional research, I have decided that FUT is probably my best chance for density while maintaining donor hair in case I want to have a second surgery down the road.  I'm hoping that I can still keep my hair short after the surgery.  I'm told that 1/2" length is enough to cover an FUT scar.  Does that sound right?  

Personally, I think FUT is no longer a big advantage over FUE as it used to be many years ago.  FUE has advanced to a point where I think I’d almost always pick it over FUT.  

• Like 1

Check out my journey here: