Getting a HT with minor scalp damage

Long story short: I had an injury that required some injections into a small patch of my scalp. About 4 injections caused isolated nerve damage after needle impact (some were applied too hard). The daily nerve pain bothered me for about 5-6 months before subsiding, however the nerves are still sensitive and I absolutely shudder at the thought of a needle or sharp object touching them again. I also don't know whether doing so will damage them again (for many months).  So basically 99% of my scalp is fine to inject with the exception of about 4 hyper sensitive isolated dots (maybe 4mm in diameter). Is this something I can navigate? I'm thinking maybe the incisions and implantation - while done with a sharp object that pierces the scalp - may not go deep enough to hit the nerves...

Edited by Dally6

• Administrators

Let me tag @DrTBarghouthi

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Dally6 said:

Long story short: I had an injury that required some injections into a small patch of my scalp. About 4 injections caused isolated nerve damage after needle impact (some were applied too hard). The daily nerve pain bothered me for about 5-6 months before subsiding, however the nerves are still sensitive and I absolutely shudder at the thought of a needle or sharp object touching them again. I also don't know whether doing so will damage them again (for many months).  So basically 99% of my scalp is fine to inject with the exception of about 4 hyper sensitive isolated dots (maybe 4mm in diameter). Is this something I can navigate? I'm thinking maybe the incisions and implantation - while done with a sharp object that pierces the scalp - may not go deep enough to hit the nerves...

It can be hard to ascertain what went on . It can be nerve injury related, or neuropathic pain. It can be related to the medication being injected in the first place too. You also said you had an injury in that spot too right? Could that be causing this pain  after having the injury? Some injuries will cause such types of sharp pains a while after sustaining them. Please clarify a bit more the nature of the injury, treatment etc so we can hopefully come up with a good explanation. 

• Like 1

Dr. Taleb Barghouthi approved and recommended on the Hair Transplant Network. You can schedule a virtual consultation with me here.

Contact me via WhatsApp at +962798378396 (Jordan) 

Social media:

Facebook

YouTube

Twitter

Instagram

How deep were the injections? The injections done during a hair transplant don't go deep and I haven't seen a case of nerve damage from injections done from a surgeon. I think it's navigable. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

On 5/7/2022 at 9:00 PM, DrTBarghouthi said:

It can be hard to ascertain what went on . It can be nerve injury related, or neuropathic pain. It can be related to the medication being injected in the first place too. You also said you had an injury in that spot too right? Could that be causing this pain  after having the injury? Some injuries will cause such types of sharp pains a while after sustaining them. Please clarify a bit more the nature of the injury, treatment etc so we can hopefully come up with a good explanation. 

Thanks for the reply and interest in my situation Dr Barghouthi.

I call it an injury but perhaps that isn't even the correct term. I could never get a proper diagnosis. Neuropathic pain is probably correct but dysesthesia was also used. Basically I was a young athlete that developed chronic fatigue syndrome. I managed this condition for many years. A few years ago I started getting intense isolated pain in four locations (all on my right hand side) that further perplexed all my doctors. One area was a small area on top of my scalp. Out of desperation I tried stem cell therapy which greatly improved my health and pain (but didn't cure it). Unfortunately some of the local stem cell injections into my scalp caused some damage. So the "injury" on my scalp is a small area that is painful (but manageable) + 4 small areas of nerve damage from the injections (that don't hurt unless aggravated). I'm not sure if that helps. Either way id be interested in getting a HT if I can navigate this issue. 

Dally,

It would help if you supplied some photos of your scalp and the injected area. That said, without knowing more about the procedure you underwent including how deep the injections were, etc. is hard to provide any real technical response. That said I’m also not a physician and I can only speak based on what I’ve read and my personal experience.

Regarding hair transplant surgery, your scalp should be sufficiently numbed so that the implantation in the recipient area shouldn’t be felt at all. That’s true regardless of any other procedure performed in that area previously. So I think he would be OK however, it’s best to speak directly to a hair transplant surgeon about this to garner more input and reassurance.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.