Coloring/Dyeing hair post HT

1. What's the recommended wait time to dye your hair post HT?
  2. Is it safe on the implanted area? Does it impede regrowth?
  3. Which hair dyes are safe/recommended? (ie. brands, ammonia free, natural ingredients, etc.)

The answers to these questions are all over the map so trying to get consensus on this topic. o.O

HairMe,

I would honestly check with your surgeon but the below is based in my understanding - although I do not have any direct experience with hair dye    

You’re not going to impede hair regrowth if you dye your safely hair post-op.  Personally, i’ve heard people say that you can start dying your hair as early as 7 to 10 days postop which is around the time the scabs are typically removed. However, to be on the safe side, I would personally wait 3 to 4 weeks to give my scalp more of a chance to heal.

At that point, any hair dye that is safe for your natural hair will be safe for your transplanted hair. That said, I believe hair dye with natural ingredients are generally safer for your hair overall.  Thus, that may be the better route to go for your hair’s health overall.

The above of course, is my personal opinion based on my knowledge and experience with hair transplantation.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• Moderators

I dye my hair between one to two months post op.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

On 5/2/2022 at 2:25 AM, BeHappy said:

I dye my hair between one to two months post op.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:11 AM, Gatsby said:

I died my hair at two and half months post op with a non permanent hair dye. I would use as natural a product as possible but once your scalp has healed completely you should be good to go.

Any recommended hair dye brands that use natural ingredients? TIA B|