2150 grafts unshaven FUE, day 1 post op.

1 minute ago, J.A.C said:

These are not good clinics, unfortunately we don’t have the best Drs/Clinics here in the UK. And the ones that are mostly doing the better work are Dr Reddy, Dr Ball, Dr Farjo and Dr Arshad. When it comes to reliability/consistency though most will look elsewhere, add in the cost a lot of people look elsewhere/outside of the UK. I truly hope one day we can add another Dr to the forums recommended list, right now it’s just Dr Farjo + Dr Arshad. 

“Not good clinics” meaning what exactly? They botch transplants? Presumably if they weren’t good clinics they wouldn’t get good results and the pitchforks would come out. Not sure what you mean by that. 

So you’re suggesting there’s only 2 good hair transplant Drs in the entire United Kingdom? for a relatively straightforward procedure I find that staggering. Unbelievable, actually.

Only 2 surgeons worth their salt in the entire UK. Fascinating.

7 minutes ago, BoredMassively said:

“Not good clinics” meaning what exactly? They botch transplants? Presumably if they weren’t good clinics they wouldn’t get good results and the pitchforks would come out. Not sure what you mean by that. 

So you’re suggesting there’s only 2 good hair transplant Drs in the entire United Kingdom? for a relatively straightforward procedure I find that staggering. Unbelievable, actually.

Why are you getting so defensive? There are definitely better surgeons abroad, and for cheaper prices

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BoredMassively said:

Yeh they have more poor results than good, look at some here on the forum from those clinics or see the discussions. 
It’s not a straightforward procedure at all, it takes a lot of factors to get it right. I started out with my first procedure In the Uk over 12 years ago and then followed the scene ever since, I’m now at 5 hts and seen over a decades worth of results from all around the world. The best work is being done elsewhere, but no it’s not just 2 Drs, the others I mentioned have more good results than anybody else here, with the occasional not so good ones. Even going to the “elite” still doesn’t come with a guaranteed result, but the chances of a decent result is a lot, lot higher. 
Search for the names I consider doing the better work In the Uk here on the forum and yes you will see some very good results on the whole. But again dig deeper and you will find others that don’t hit the mark. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Why are you getting so defensive? There are definitely better surgeons abroad, and for cheaper prices

Yup 👍🏽 OP if you’re getting defensive then that would be a shame, we are just here to share our experiences and educate, I’m talking from knowledge from being around the hair loss scene and forums for 10+ years. 
And I just know better options are further afield, some of the Clinics you mentioned are just not even the better choices here.

Edited by J.A.C
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, Aslitarcan sucks said:

Defensive? news to me. Rather you didn’t hop in and say that, not really productive. I apologise for questioning the integrity of the forum and it’s users. There are only 2 good surgeons in the entire UK. I agree.

15 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

Yeh they have more poor results than good, look at some here on the forum from those clinics or see the discussions. 
It’s not a straightforward procedure at all, it takes a lot of factors to get it right. I started out with my first procedure In the Uk over 12 years ago and then followed the scene ever since, I’m now at 5 hts and seen over a decades worth of results from all around the world. The best work is being done elsewhere, but no it’s not just 2 Drs, the others I mentioned have more good results than anybody else here, with the occasional not so good ones. Even going to the “elite” still doesn’t come with a guaranteed result, but the chances of a decent result is a lot, lot higher. 
Search for the names I consider doing the better work In the Uk here on the forum and yes you will see some very good results on the whole. But again dig deeper and you will find others that don’t hit the mark. 

5 hair transplants? Jesus, that’s no small matter. Why the need for 5?

I do appreciate the responses though. My Dr seemed optimistic about my potential results. Time will tell. It’s your word against the multiple clinics and Dr I went with, maybe they’re all wrong and you’re right. Maybe it will grow through sparse and thin. Forgive me for questioning you, it’s all in good spirit. 

19 minutes ago, BoredMassively said:

5 hair transplants? Jesus, that’s no small matter. Why the need for 5?

I do appreciate the responses though. My Dr seemed optimistic about my potential results. Time will tell. It’s your word against the multiple clinics and Dr I went with, maybe they’re all wrong and you’re right. Maybe it will grow through sparse and thin. Forgive me for questioning you, it’s all in good spirit. 

I don’t think it will grow out particularly thin at all, just may need a little more. I don’t mind being questioned 😊If you had said you went to Dr Reddy, Dr Farjo, Dr Ball or Dr Arshad then I would have been interested to their proposed graft counts . I should also mention that we also have Dr Raja here that seems to be doing good work, but it’s early days. If you had any consultations in Turkey they would have said 3k+ but this is going the other way. 
I would have been Norwood 6 without any transplants, x2 FUT and x3 FUE and still I will be seeking a 6th to add density and cover up my stretched scar. Unlike yourself I could not take Fin as it would have contra-indications with the Meds I was on.

The plan you have is actually spot on, a med regime which is working and not a massive amount of grafts for your first procedure. If and when you was to need another somewhere later down the line, then you would still have more than adequate left in your donor area. 

Edited by J.A.C

47 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

I don’t think it will grow out particularly thin at all, just may need a little more. I don’t mind being questioned 😊If you had said you went to Dr Reddy, Dr Farjo, Dr Ball or Dr Arshad then I would have been interested to their proposed graft counts . I should also mention that we also have Dr Raja here that seems to be doing good work, but it’s early days. If you had any consultations in Turkey they would have said 3k+ but this is going the other way. 
I would have been Norwood 6 without any transplants, x2 FUT and x3 FUE and still I will be seeking a 6th to add density and cover up my stretched scar. Unlike yourself I could not take Fin as it would have contra-indications with the Meds I was on.

The plan you have is actually spot on, a med regime which is working and not a massive amount of grafts for your first procedure. If and when you was to need another somewhere later down the line, then you would still have more than adequate left in your donor area. 

I’m a disagreeable character so I apologise if I come off argumentative. Again, I do appreciate the replies. How do you expect the transplanted area will look if it grows as it should? 5000 follicles I’ve been told to expect. Interested to hear your thoughts.

3 hours ago, BoredMassively said:

I thought about this a little more (since got cabin fever and nothing better to do at present).

I had a good amount of consultations with multiple clinics up and down the UK and not one quoted me near 2500 grafts, much less above that. They all suggested around 2000. I was also told to be wary of any clinics that offered me more than around 2000. Also, wouldn’t 2500+ for bringing the hairline forward a touch and filling in the corners leave me at risk for less coverage down the line if I recede further? I am 24. Thanks though 😊

Were grafts placed into that middle forelock area that was left unshaved?  The area you had covered looks similar to the area I had covered - and my procedure ended up being 2650 grafts.  Mind you, the area pictured here is not without hair - the hairline had already been shaved back a bit (shown better in the second picture) - so similar to your situation except your area wasn't shaved.  Not trying to be negative, just honest.  Then again, who knows which one of us has a bigger head (I'm tempted to think I do since I was a NW2 and still required more grafts) and what the exact measurements were.  It may be easier to tell once you're in the buzz cut phase just how dense it is.  I would say it doesn't appear to be in the 60 FU/cm squared range, but it also doesn't look like it'll be a poor result either.

279118023_409396483993623_1962780109796570133_n.jpg

279155357_977400222925563_7622327922657208590_n.jpg

Edited by John1991

13 minutes ago, John1991 said:

The area you had covered looks remarkably similar to the area I had covered - and my procedure ended up being 2650 grafts.  Mind you, the area pictured here is not without hair - the hairline had already been shaved back a bit (showed better in the second picture) - so similar to your situation except your area wasn't shaved.  Not trying to be negative, just honest.  Then again, who knows which one of us has a bigger head and what the exact measurements were.  It may be easier to tell once you're in the buzz cut phase just how dense it is.

279118023_409396483993623_1962780109796570133_n.jpg

279155357_977400222925563_7622327922657208590_n.jpg

Remarkably similar for sure, I thought I was looking at myself for a moment there. You’ve almost certainly had a more populous hair transplant than I. would love to see more pictures post op if you have any. Do you know what your graft breakdown was (1s/2s/3s)? 

Hopefully I get a buzz cut stage before the shed begins for an early indication.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BoredMassively said:

Remarkably similar for sure, I thought I was looking at myself for a moment there. You’ve almost certainly had a more populous hair transplant than I. would love to see more pictures post op if you have any. Do you know what your graft breakdown was (1s/2s/3s)? 

Hopefully I get a buzz cut stage before the shed begins for an early indication.

Looking at the higher angled view from immediately after the operation, I think perhaps my area was bigger than yours.  Then again, it really is hard to tell because the front of my hairline was shaved, which makes the area look significantly barer than yours despite not actually being barer. The next one is 15 days post-op (to give you a sense of buzz-cut look).  The next 18 days - you can see a few hairs shed.  The last prior to surgery - from just a normal angle.  No clue what the breakdown was as far as 1s/2s/3s, except that I was originally told an estimate of roughly 2200 and then ended up getting 2650.  I think it's annoying when people post their own pictures in other threads, but your pre-op/purple line pic was so similar to mine and J.A.C responded with a similar graft count to mine, so I figured I'd weigh in.  I think my hat size in European sizing is 59/60, for whatever that's worth.

277822846_643928170037772_2473228717778554683_n.jpg

279036865_407307174203460_1499432272589464407_n.jpg

278972738_1475247509596074_6709143847246311203_n.jpg

277831169_1402262586913716_5722887453465320542_n.jpg

Edited by John1991

16 minutes ago, John1991 said:

Looking at the higher angled view from immediately after the operation, I think perhaps my area was bigger than yours.  Then again, it really is hard to tell because the front of my hairline was shaved, which makes the area look significantly barer than yours despite not actually being barer. The next one is 15 days post-op (to give you a sense of buzz-cut look).  The next 18 days - you can see a few hairs shed.  The last prior to surgery - from just a normal angle.  No clue what the breakdown was as far as 1s/2s/3s, except that I was originally told an estimate of roughly 2200 and then ended up getting 2650.  I think it's annoying when people post their own pictures in other threads, but your pre-op/purple line pic was so similar to mine and J.A.C responded with a similar graft count to mine, so I figured I'd weigh in.

277822846_643928170037772_2473228717778554683_n.jpg

279036865_407307174203460_1499432272589464407_n.jpg

278972738_1475247509596074_6709143847246311203_n.jpg

277831169_1402262586913716_5722887453465320542_n.jpg

It’s fine margins either way. Would have been nice to know your breakdown but I expect it can’t be too dissimilar. I think the way my procedure worked was that they extracted the minimum amount of 1s for the hairline and filled the rest with 2s and 3s for density, though that might be how every surgeon does it, I don’t know. Would have been nice to compare that too. I appreciate you chiming in, we do have a very similar situation. My recession is more deep in the temples than yours but I think my head is narrower. From comparing myself to other people with similar hairlines who’ve had transplants including yourself I’ve definitely had less grafts pcm2. How much a few hundred grafts matters though I’m not sure, I’ll be wearing my hair down when it grows and I’m pretty good at making the most of what hair I have… through necessity 😩

2 weeks down the line I’ll have a good look at your pictures again and compare. I’ve definitely had a more conservative op, deliberately so of course. Thanks for your input.

Edited by BoredMassively

3 minutes ago, BoredMassively said:

It’s fine margins either way. Would have been nice to know your breakdown but I expect it can’t be too dissimilar. I think the way my procedure worked was that they extracted the minimum amount of 1s for the hairline and filled the rest with 2s and 3s for density, though that might be how every surgeon does it, I don’t know. Would have been nice to compare that too. I appreciate you chiming in, we do have a very similar situation. My recession is more deep in the temples than yours but I think my head is narrower. From comparing myself to other people with similar hairlines who’ve had transplants including yourself I’ve definitely had less grafts pcm2. How much a few hundred grafts matters though I’m not sure, I’ll be wearing my hair down when it grows and I’m pretty good at making the most of what hair I have… through necessity 😩

2 weeks down the line I’ll have a good look at your pictures again and compare. I’ve definitely had a more conservative op, deliberately so of course. Thanks for your input.

Ya, less recession but a bigger head could easily result in the same area needing to be filled.  I wouldn't say yours was Uber-conservative.  You are 7 years younger, so it makes sense to be a tad more cautious.  Look forward to seeing your progress.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, John1991 said:

Ya, less recession but a bigger head could easily result in the same area needing to be filled.  I wouldn't say yours was Uber-conservative.  You are 7 years younger, so it makes sense to be a tad more cautious.  Look forward to seeing your progress.  

For the record, I do have a big head,  especially compared to my face, but it’s more the height than the width 😭 thanks again.

If you’re taking fin, there’s no reason why you can’t have a transplant at 24. Heck, you could probably even get off it for a year or two then continue.

Your hairloss also follows a pattern instead of the diffuse thinning all over and doesn’t seem that aggressive. Plenty of people just stop at nw3 or nw4 without drugs.

The issue with transplant at young age is no medication. Plenty of young people think they get a HT and solved the problem for life, don’t use medication and it ends up getting worse.

Look around and you will see so many destined to be norwood 7s still be nw2/3 on fin/minoxidil. There was a guy recently with a very aggressive hairloss obvious nw7 but he’s been maintaining at nw2ish

The best years of your life are in 20s anyway, then 30s. Nobody cares about hair that much in 40s or 50s , I mean it’s expected. But if you’re bald at 20 you look like a freak among your friends so personally I think HT in 20s is fine especially if your hairloss doesn’t seem that aggressive and you’re on meds

2 hours ago, Euphoria said:

If you’re taking fin, there’s no reason why you can’t have a transplant at 24. Heck, you could probably even get off it for a year or two then continue.

Your hairloss also follows a pattern instead of the diffuse thinning all over and doesn’t seem that aggressive. Plenty of people just stop at nw3 or nw4 without drugs.

The issue with transplant at young age is no medication. Plenty of young people think they get a HT and solved the problem for life, don’t use medication and it ends up getting worse.

Look around and you will see so many destined to be norwood 7s still be nw2/3 on fin/minoxidil. There was a guy recently with a very aggressive hairloss obvious nw7 but he’s been maintaining at nw2ish

The best years of your life are in 20s anyway, then 30s. Nobody cares about hair that much in 40s or 50s , I mean it’s expected. But if you’re bald at 20 you look like a freak among your friends so personally I think HT in 20s is fine especially if your hairloss doesn’t seem that aggressive and you’re on meds

The best years of your life are the years which you’re most satisfied and comfortable with yourself. That’s not necessarily in your 20s. Or even 30s.  I’m not going to say that hair loss at 20 or in your 20s isn’t more devastating than hair loss in your 40s - it obviously is.  That said, you’re insanely short sighted if you think that you (who care enough about hair to post in a hair loss forum) will magically not care about your appearance/hair in your 40s. Or even your 50s. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John1991 said:

The best years of your life are the years which you’re most satisfied and comfortable with yourself. That’s not necessarily in your 20s. Or even 30s.  I’m not going to say that hair loss at 20 or in your 20s isn’t more devastating than hair loss in your 40s - it obviously is.  That said, you’re insanely short sighted if you think that you (who care enough about hair to post in a hair loss forum) will magically not care about your appearance/hair in your 40s. Or even your 50s. 

Hair loss has had an absolutely cataclysmic impact on my life: it’s never something I’m not conscious of. A transplant was something I honestly needed years ago for my self esteem, and I would’ve had younger if I could’ve afforded it. Hair loss has unequivocally marred my late teens to early 20s and to a very significant extent. I can’t see this unwavering insecurity fading with age and don’t agree with the idea that people stop caring about hair when they hit some arbitrary age range. Going bald simply is not an option for me and never will be, and I know that because I once shaved my head completely bald and it looked absolutely awful.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John1991 said:

In 40s/50s you don’t seem out of place and everyone expects you to show signs of some balding. People also generally have accepted their fate by this age and are much more comfortable in their skin better able to cope and deal with it. It is a completely different experience in 20s or in the teens.

You misunderstood my post. I don’t mean you stop caring past a certain age, just the impact of hairloss is different at different ages. And the advice OP is getting is he shouldn’t have a transplant because he’s young. He absolutely should have a transplant and in my opinion if someone is using medication then they can have it young because like I said the most devastating and impactful years are the 20s and 30s so why not take care of this problem at a time its the  most troublesome.

18 hours ago, Euphoria said:

In 40s/50s you don’t seem out of place and everyone expects you to show signs of some balding. People also generally have accepted their fate by this age and are much more comfortable in their skin better able to cope and deal with it. It is a completely different experience in 20s or in the teens.

You misunderstood my post. I don’t mean you stop caring past a certain age, just the impact of hairloss is different at different ages. And the advice OP is getting is he shouldn’t have a transplant because he’s young. He absolutely should have a transplant and in my opinion if someone is using medication then they can have it young because like I said the most devastating and impactful years are the 20s and 30s so why not take care of this problem at a time its the  most troublesome.

Fair enough, but I acknowledged that hair loss is far more devastating in earlier years than later on.  I just think plenty of people care a whole hell of a lot in their 40s and 50s.  As much as they did earlier on.

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2022 at 1:31 PM, Rice said:

@BoredMassively

Updates? I've had interest in the same doctor

The parting you see is where my native hair is pulled back and the transplanted hair resting forward. Just shy of 5 months post op. The newly transplanted hair doesn’t actually see the light of day because I’m still rocking the combover fringe while the new hair grows enough length to be integrated meaningfully.

Still reserving judgement myself. I’ll post an update eventually when the new hair is long enough to actually be put on display. The second picture is my existing hair so you can see what I mean. 

As for my donor area, as far as I’m concerned it’s the same as it was pre-op.

35CCE7B6-AB62-4CF8-99A0-F375E52083DF.jpeg

635A4E7B-82A5-4940-8915-0C1D695D3E63.jpeg

Edited by BoredMassively
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/22/2022 at 12:26 AM, BoredMassively said:

The parting you see is where my native hair is pulled back and the transplanted hair resting forward. Just shy of 5 months post op. The newly transplanted hair doesn’t actually see the light of day because I’m still rocking the combover fringe while the new hair grows enough length to be integrated meaningfully.

Still reserving judgement myself. I’ll post an update eventually when the new hair is long enough to actually be put on display. The second picture is my existing hair so you can see what I mean. 

As for my donor area, as far as I’m concerned it’s the same as it was pre-op.

35CCE7B6-AB62-4CF8-99A0-F375E52083DF.jpeg

635A4E7B-82A5-4940-8915-0C1D695D3E63.jpeg

Really interested in your progress with this Drs work, considering getting my FUE done with him really soon and can’t make my mind up as not many reviews etc 

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...