Pain meds after FUT?

My FUT is coming up next week and I was told I shouldn't take pain meds for at least 3 days after my procedure. The reason is so that I don't fall asleep and not able to spray my head every hour. I'm curious how many people on the forum who have had an FUT have NOT had to take any pain meds afterwards. Is that normal? I assumed that I'll be in pain for a few days afterwards. Is it really not that bad? Maybe I'm overly concerned.

Edited by hairyharry

A few people have faired better than others.  For me it was generally 'ok' but I did make sure to take a couple of weeks off work and early on set my alarm to take a pain killer every 4 hours for the first few days.  Sometimes I would wake up with it stinging a bit.  After about 5 days you will probably need to take less and after 2 weeks there should be no need.

>I was told I shouldn't take pain meds for at least 3 days after my procedure

That doesn't make any sense to me.  Maybe they mean valium.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

20 hours ago, hairyharry said:

My FUT is coming up next week and I was told I shouldn't take pain meds for at least 3 days after my procedure. The reason is so that I don't fall asleep and not able to spray my head every hour. I'm curious how many people on the forum who have had an FUT have NOT had to take any pain meds afterwards. Is that normal? I assumed that I'll be in pain for a few days afterwards. Is it really not that bad? Maybe I'm overly concerned.

I had fut and only needed ibuprofen daily for a week. Dr prescribed me narcotics but i really didnt need them. 

There are so many people in this Earth, you are bound to find some that will find this to be the most painful thing they ever did.  Others might say it was a walk in the park.  I think most people fall right in between.  

The day of the procedure you will be taking advantage of the local anesthetic.  The key is to stay ahead of the pain.  So, follow the post op instructions given to you by the clinic. If you wait until you're hurting, you will go through some discomfort.  

You do bring up something interesting. Some clinics do offer additional products, sprays, etc., to help heal faster, etc.  IMO these are to be used while you're awake.  I doubt if not doing the spray during sleeping hours is going to make much difference one way or another. Certainly, you will not lose any grafts because of it.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

22 hours ago, 1978matt said:

A few people have faired better than others.  For me it was generally 'ok' but I did make sure to take a couple of weeks off work and early on set my alarm to take a pain killer every 4 hours for the first few days.  Sometimes I would wake up with it stinging a bit.  After about 5 days you will probably need to take less and after 2 weeks there should be no need.

>I was told I shouldn't take pain meds for at least 3 days after my procedure

That doesn't make any sense to me.  Maybe they mean valium.

Yea, didn't make sense to me either but I was told that pain meds are sedative as well. BTW, Would Tylenol work as well as ibuprofen for pain management. I was prescribed narcotics but really don't want to take them.

2 hours ago, hairyharry said:

Yea, didn't make sense to me either but I was told that pain meds are sedative as well. BTW, Would Tylenol work as well as ibuprofen for pain management. I was prescribed narcotics but really don't want to take them.

I think I rotated between Tylenol and Vicodin every 4-6 hours.  It was about 10 days worth of Vicodin only, but this was back in 2013.

4,312 FUT grafts (7,676 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2013

1,145 FUE grafts (3,152 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - August 2018

763 FUE grafts (2,094 hairs) with Ray Konior, MD - January 2020

Proscar 1.25mg every 3rd day

The post-op pain will vary between individuals…people may be referring to refraining from taking narcotics post-op…it’s best to discuss this issue with your surgeon.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY