Toppik or hat to conceal post hair transplant

I'm not sure if it matters but would you rather put a hair concealer in your hair or wear a hat when waiting for full results for your hair transplant? Would one be healthier for the transplant than the other option? I'm talking about like going out or going to work, not when at home. 

• Administrators

It’s a matter of choice, I alternate between using concealer and wearing hats. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

I prefer au natural and just telling ppl I've had a HT if the situation requires it. But definitely wear a hat if you are in the sun and/or spending significant time outdoors. 

Hypothetically, if I did need to keep my HT a secret, I'd probably go with a hat over concealer. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I prefer au natural and just telling ppl I've had a HT if the situation requires it. But definitely wear a hat if you are in the sun and/or spending significant time outdoors. 

Hypothetically, if I did need to keep my HT a secret, I'd probably go with a hat over concealer. 

Cool man. what's your rationale for hat over concealer?

Personally I'm wearing a hat daily.  I don't think any concealer in the world is going to hide the redness in the front of my hairline or the fact that my native hair that was shaved for the operation is obviously shorter than the rest of my native hair.  I'm definitely not a hat guy, but I'm actually starting to not mind wearing one.

279076717_3297169753904884_8140098434578724907_n.jpg

• Administrators
21 minutes ago, John1991 said:

Personally I'm wearing a hat daily.  I don't think any concealer in the world is going to hide the redness in the front of my hairline or the fact that my native hair that was shaved for the operation is obviously shorter than the rest of my native hair.  I'm definitely not a hat guy, but I'm actually starting to not mind wearing one.

279076717_3297169753904884_8140098434578724907_n.jpg

You could wear your hair down like a fringe. But I know that's not the best hair style.

• Haha 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

7 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

You could wear your hair down like a fringe. But I know that's not the best hair style.

Just looks too weird.  I decided I'd either continue with the leftie hair part (how I've worn my hair forever) or wear a hat.  Slicking the hair back to keep it off the recipient area then throwing on a hat never quite works - the hair always reverts back to the leftie part.  I've found a middle part keeps the hair off the recipient area best, then I just throw a hat on.  It's definitely convenient that probably half the dudes at my work places wear hats - in an office setting this would be a nightmare.  Have you been a hat guy after your transplants?

On 5/5/2022 at 3:16 PM, TheBigM said:

How long after a procedure can you wear a hat?

It's wise to avoid using one at all until around 7-10 days post-op.  That said, a loose-fitting one shouldn't be much of an issue even several days post op.  Nothing tight for two full weeks.

It's really gonna come down to personal preference. I was/am a hat guy, but I also didn't have the type of hair loss that a concealer could do much to address to begin with - especially post-op. Also, as far as I know, you need a fair amount of native hair in an area for a concealer to work effectively, so it would also depend on how much hair you for the concealer to adhere to. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56