shaving off sides/donor area to 0, getting an undercut after hair transplant

The undercut is the only haircut that really suits me but I’m worried that the scars might be visible to others once I do it. I think about shaving the sides of the hair to 0 and keeping it like 1-2cm on top. My hair always gets split ends once it grows long so I want to keep it short.

Has anyone here experience with this? I couldn’t find any pics or forum posts about this unfortunately. Is it a bad idea to shave the sides/donor without getting an SMP first ?

1 minute ago, Beno99 said:

The undercut is the only haircut that really suits me but I’m worried that the scars might be visible to others once I do it. I think about shaving the sides of the hair to 0 and keeping it like 1-2cm on top. My hair always gets split ends once it grows long so I want to keep it short.

Has anyone here experience with this? I couldn’t find any pics or forum posts about this unfortunately. Is it a bad idea to shave the sides/donor without getting an SMP first ?

The scars are microscopic and invisible to the eyes. However, the absence of hair in the extracted area of the donor is visible when the donor area is shaved or trimmed to a 0 or something similar to that. It is advisable to keep the hair a little longer on the donor area.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Kashnw7hope said:

Shaving with number 3 or higher completely solves this issue for me . It actually helps blend and camouflage the donor  .

Number 3 is 1cm right ? I might give that a try first and see how it looks.

12 minutes ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

The scars are microscopic and invisible to the eyes. However, the absence of hair in the extracted area of the donor is visible when the donor area is shaved or trimmed to a 0 or something similar to that. It is advisable to keep the hair a little longer on the donor area.

Yeah that’s what I meant actually, I fear that the lack of hair might get visible. If only SMPs would be a bit cheaper here, it sucks I can no longer get my favorite haircut without having to worry about this 

16 minutes ago, Newyear newhair said:

I had 2700 fue grafts extracted and I shave mine to a skin fade.... not noticeable unless your a ht nerd or zoom right in.

BB52A972-FD6E-48DC-9C51-91A44661CA52.jpeg

Looks great! They only took 2700 grafts from you which helps, I got 4000 grafts taken 😬

I would love a similar haircut like that but with a higher fade. If it looks crap and the lack of hair gets visible I will have to wear a cap or hoodie till it grows back I guess 

Edited by Beno99
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beno99 said:

Looks great! They only took 2700 grafts from you which helps, I got 4000 grafts taken 😬

I would love a similar haircut like that but with a higher fade. If it looks crap and the lack of hair gets visible I will have to wear a cap or hoodie till it grows back I guess 

I honestly doubt the average person would ever notice 

• Like 2

Skin tone and hair contrast ratio as well as how you actually healed play the biggest part. 

Also, you could use SMP to try mask the donor scars which is something a lot of people choose to do. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, NARMAK said:

Skin tone and hair contrast ratio as well as how you actually healed play the biggest part. 

Also, you could use SMP to try mask the donor scars which is something a lot of people choose to do. 

The donor healed quite well, looks better now than it did during the first few months, I’m at month 9 now. I have pale skin and dark black hair Idk if this makes it better or worse.

Im quite young and a student, I have to save to afford regular SMPs. Once I can I will go for it for sure 

1 hour ago, Beno99 said:

The donor healed quite well, looks better now than it did during the first few months, I’m at month 9 now. I have pale skin and dark black hair Idk if this makes it better or worse.

Im quite young and a student, I have to save to afford regular SMPs. Once I can I will go for it for sure 

Honestly, just go for the haircut you want and see how it looks in pictures under different lighting. If you do have a higher visibility of scars because of how many grafts were used, then you can save up and do the SMP at a reputable place to help mask them. Usually it's a really good way to hide scars if you have darker hair too imo. However if you were to go razor blade the areas completely, unlike the skin fade that leaves the "stubble" look, the SMP would stand out. 

Personally i have begun to like my hair longer but the lowest i used to go was a 2 Guard or Grade 2 as i call them lol

• Thanks 1

Got the sides shaved. It’s a bit reddish because of the razor right now.

It looked noticeably bad under certain lighting when I left it on 1-3mm but now that I got it shaved completely it looks better.

What do you guys think, does it look alright ?

3CE302C2-F09A-4849-B1C8-3734F88E63E2.jpeg

52EC4D61-1318-49E2-BDBC-5343A1136E15.jpeg

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Beno99 said:

Got the sides shaved. It’s a bit reddish because of the razor right now.

It looked noticeably bad under certain lighting when I left it on 1-3mm but now that I got it shaved completely it looks better.

What do you guys think, does it look alright ?

3CE302C2-F09A-4849-B1C8-3734F88E63E2.jpeg

52EC4D61-1318-49E2-BDBC-5343A1136E15.jpeg

Honestly, doesn't look that bad at all to me, but under direct lighting, i can imagine how it could be more visible and bother you potentially. If that is the case, SMP should definitely set you right. 

• Thanks 1