Is microneedling safe if I want ht in future?

I am thinking of using dermaroller on my crown, but I've heard that microneedling can create microscars on your scalp which can lead transplanted grafts to fall out, is that true?

Dermarolling does leave scar from the healing process but i've never heard of it causing transplanted hair to fall out... unless you're meaning to needle them before they fully set?

Iirc mostly after your transplanted hair set down, its quite safe, give it some time before doing it though, like how people refrain on working out soon after any ops

Scar tissue lack elasticity but otherwise there isnt much evidence agaisnt or for the answer of your question...

2 hours ago, SoSoz said:

I am thinking of using dermaroller on my crown, but I've heard that microneedling can create microscars on your scalp which can lead transplanted grafts to fall out, is that true?

Microneedling once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm should not be leaving any permanent or lasting damage. If it is, you are doing it incorrectly and perhaps too much. 

Grafts are usually secure around 3mm into the scalp much below where you would Microneedle. Just beware though that you will need to stop for a while after a hair transplant before you resume again. Luckily Microneedling imo acts more like PRP and results tend to persist after you stop. 

8 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Microneedling once a week at 1mm to 1.5mm should not be leaving any permanent or lasting damage. If it is, you are doing it incorrectly and perhaps too much. 

Grafts are usually secure around 3mm into the scalp much below where you would Microneedle. Just beware though that you will need to stop for a while after a hair transplant before you resume again. Luckily Microneedling imo acts more like PRP and results tend to persist after you stop. 

I used a 1mm dermapen one month after a transplant, luckily it had no negative affect. :)
(Though finding out that I shouldn't have gave me worries for a long time)

The important thing with microneedling is that you space out when you use it as well as take care of the rollers cleanliness. 

Edited by SeanToman

• Administrators

There are differing opinions. I have heard from some surgeons that you could potentially develop scarring, which could potentially affect HT growth. I think it depends on the size of the dermaroller. Personally, I have stopped it. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.