How much will a HT realistically help me at this point as a diffuse thinner? 26 y/o

So I have been on fin 1mg/day for 9/10 months and Min for 8/9 months, I have noticed quite a positive change. Let’s be conservative and say i won’t see any more change in the next year and this is it. I know hair transplants are really just an illusion of density; the thing is, with my diffuse thinning I can also provide the “illusion” of thicker hair by how it’s styled, the lighting, how recently it has been washed, if there’s no dry minoxidil foam, etc. what I would essentially like is the illusion of no hair loss without the use of fibers, specific styling, etc. is this possible? Here is what I currently look like in basically the worst or close to worst scenarios (bright light, dried minoxidil foam from 8 hours ago, etc). I know my hairline can be lowered via HT, but it’s really the lack of density that bothers me. Some pics my hair is pushed back, some pushed forward.

6CCE726F-E7BE-462F-8570-13F91736995E.jpeg

057B347B-8211-4E02-AEBD-A7B11CBB4BA1.jpeg

81706D08-44C0-4050-8791-9A33BC672F1B.jpeg

0432CAF9-7050-468F-BF33-20753E945DC3.jpeg

01E10CEC-1DB9-4CEB-B252-2AE7C355CDCA.jpeg

• Administrators

I would be very careful, as there’s a big chance of shock loss. Have you seen any regrowth with fin/min?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

10 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I would be very careful, as there’s a big chance of shock loss. Have you seen any regrowth with fin/min?

I have, or at least the existing follicles have definitely thickened up. Here are some old photos. That’s pretty much my main concern, ie I get surgery then some hair is basically displaced by transplanted hair and the end result looks no better. Also I basically lose the option of shaving my head in 20 years or if I ever decide to in the future. I suppose I could just stay on the meds for the foreseeable future and not get surgery, I wouldn’t be 100% satisfied of course but oh well. My plan was to do another round of photo consultations to my top surgeon picks in a few months/around the 1 year mark of meds and see what they say. Just want to gauge my expectations.

863DD74C-B880-473D-BD16-99889B43C66C.jpeg

D2C35C5F-FAA1-4619-8E82-2FD2D22169F6.jpeg

33E56DF5-479D-412F-BCA8-72C538D28AF1.jpeg

6 minutes ago, Whipaway said:

It looks like you have had a real positive result from the meds ! 
Are you taking oral Minoxidil? If so what dose ? 

Thanks, there has definitely been improvement and I am thankful for that. I am not using oral minoxidil; I watch Kevin Mann/Haircafe and he has cited multiple sources of oral Minox not being completely safe for your cardiovascular health. I know some reputable people claim it is fine but I personally would never risk my health over it. I use foam minoxidil, typically rogaine, once a day. Full scalp coverage. I was doing twice a day but switched to once for convenience. Maybe it’s in my head, I felt like twice a day was making my hair look slightly better but I don’t think I’ve lost any ground switching to once a day, just not improving at the rate it was at 2x/day if that makes sense.

12 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

If you're not concerned about your hairline then what about some SMP for density?

I would like a better hairline but I didn’t think a HT would be feasible if behind the new hairline would still be thin. Not a bad idea, not my first choice but if the top surgeons I ask in a few months think a HT isn’t a good call in my case I will explore smp. I don’t think I have the ideal skin and hair color for it though, it seems to work much better on darker skin and hair.

• Moderators

You are getting good results on meds so far. I'd stay on it and just wait and see how that goes for a few more months at least. It looks like you have a good donor area, so a hair transplant may be a good idea to at least get a more defined hairline area.

• Thanks 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

17 minutes ago, Savemyhairline said:

I would like a better hairline but I didn’t think a HT would be feasible if behind the new hairline would still be thin. Not a bad idea, not my first choice but if the top surgeons I ask in a few months think a HT isn’t a good call in my case I will explore smp. I don’t think I have the ideal skin and hair color for it though, it seems to work much better on darker skin and hair.

Search 'micropigmentation density' on YouTube, you'll see a few solid results on lighter skin.
Also the pigmentation itself can match your hair color. :)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I was under the impression that the majority shock loss hair gross back after a few months and the only hairs that don't grow back are those that are on their way out already (i.e. within a year or so). I know if you have a poor surgery it could interfere with the blood flow, etc and in that case cause permanent lose. I figured a lot of HT candidates are diffuse thinners so would be faced with the similar issue. 

5 minutes ago, brian6829M said:

I was under the impression that the majority shock loss hair gross back after a few months and the only hairs that don't grow back are those that are on their way out already (i.e. within a year or so). I know if you have a poor surgery it could interfere with the blood flow, etc and in that case cause permanent lose. I figured a lot of HT candidates are diffuse thinners so would be faced with the similar issue. 

I assume they mean that the super weak hairs that are on life support (minoxidil) might be affected negatively by shock loss. :) 

22 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

I assume they mean that the super weak hairs that are on life support (minoxidil) might be affected negatively by shock loss. :) 

Makes sense. I realize it completely varies from patient to patient but I wonder if there are cases that the shock loss negates the procedure. That's a scary thing.

9 minutes ago, brian6829M said:

Makes sense. I realize it completely varies from patient to patient but I wonder if there are cases that the shock loss negates the procedure. That's a scary thing.

A part of me thinks my crown is thinner AFTER a hair transplant on my frontal scalp.
But that could also simply be age or finasteride not being strong enough.
I did have some bad shock loss during the early months. 🤔