Sequence of procedure

So I finally did a FUE transplant and put 1,600 grafts into a bald spot in my crown.  Unfortunately I have less than stellar results almost 12 months later.  I'm curious what the schedule typically looks like during the procedure.  For me it was the consult from 10-10:30, have the Dr. perform the incisions from 10:30-11:30, have a tech extract the grafts until about 12:30, lunch, and then have the technicians place the grafts with a final wrap-up around 3:00.  I'm wondering if my results would have been better if they had done the extractions, made the incisions in the recipient, and then placed the grafts.  Anybody have thoughts on this?  I haven't had my 12 month follow-up yet so I was going to ask them as well.

Who was the clinic you used? Could you show some pre op and post op pics? A decent clinic knows what they are doing in terms of the sequencing of events, 1600 grafts is quite a low amount but should still make for some aesthetic difference. We really need to see the area that was covered though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Come back hair said:

So I finally did a FUE transplant and put 1,600 grafts into a bald spot in my crown.  Unfortunately I have less than stellar results almost 12 months later.  I'm curious what the schedule typically looks like during the procedure.  For me it was the consult from 10-10:30, have the Dr. perform the incisions from 10:30-11:30, have a tech extract the grafts until about 12:30, lunch, and then have the technicians place the grafts with a final wrap-up around 3:00.  I'm wondering if my results would have been better if they had done the extractions, made the incisions in the recipient, and then placed the grafts.  Anybody have thoughts on this?  I haven't had my 12 month follow-up yet so I was going to ask them as well.

Please share some before and after pictures for a proper feedback. The full density is usually seen within 12 to 18 months as per our experience, depending from person to person.

It wouldn't be fair for me to share pics yet since it hasn't been the full 18 months since the work was done in the crown.  A bad review based on incomplete results isn't fair to the doc.  I'm just trying to figure out that out of the thousands of hair transplants over the past year, what is the typical sequence of events.  Is it make the incisions in the recipient and then extract the follicles or vice versa?  

53 minutes ago, Come back hair said:

It wouldn't be fair for me to share pics yet since it hasn't been the full 18 months since the work was done in the crown.  A bad review based on incomplete results isn't fair to the doc.  I'm just trying to figure out that out of the thousands of hair transplants over the past year, what is the typical sequence of events.  Is it make the incisions in the recipient and then extract the follicles or vice versa?  

12 months is more than enough time to gauge outcome, inmo 3 things could have happened, poor graft survival, without pics hard to say for sure, another thing, balding area was too wide , & set grafts were not enough or spaced too far apart. Finaly, native hair progressed falling. Pics will tell full story pre & post op.

Edited by civic

• Moderators

The way you describe it being done seems like there would be a bit less time that the grafts were out of your body than if they were extracted before making the recipient incisions which is a good thing, so I don't think this was going to be a negative factor.

Without seeing before and after pictures none of us can tell you if it turned out well or not, but I'll make some general comments to you about crowns. It always seems to take more grafts than you would think to get good crown coverage. There are several factors to that which are the shape of the crown (it's a dome shape and not a flat surface, so there is more area than there appears to be) and the fact that the crown whirl makes the hairs grow out away from each other rather than all in the same direction.

This doesn't necessarily mean the Dr should have done more grafts either. You don't want to put too many grafts into the crown and then not have much left to cover the front half if/when you need to do that in the future.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.