Wait time before second surgery?

Hi friends. 

I had a transplant of about 4900 graphs back in September of last year. I need to have a small revision surgery of about 200 graphs in order to fix up an area where there is very low density. The doctor is performing this free of charge. Does anyone have a recommendation of how long to wait before performing the surgery? I was thinking of May which would put me at about 10 months, but would not want to do it if people think it’s too soon. Any thoughts on this??I had a transplant of about 4900 graphs back in September of last year. I need to have a small revision surgery of about 200 graphs in order to fix up an area where there is very low density. The doctor is performing this free of charge. Does anyone have a recommendation of how long to wait before performing the surgery? I was thinking of May which would put me at about 10 months, but would not want to do it if people think it’s too soon. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, nycshearling said:

Hi friends. 

I had a transplant of about 4900 graphs back in September of last year. I need to have a small revision surgery of about 200 graphs in order to fix up an area where there is very low density. The doctor is performing this free of charge. Does anyone have a recommendation of how long to wait before performing the surgery? I was thinking of May which would put me at about 10 months, but would not want to do it if people think it’s too soon. Any thoughts on this??I had a transplant of about 4900 graphs back in September of last year. I need to have a small revision surgery of about 200 graphs in order to fix up an area where there is very low density. The doctor is performing this free of charge. Does anyone have a recommendation of how long to wait before performing the surgery? I was thinking of May which would put me at about 10 months, but would not want to do it if people think it’s too soon. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks!

Maybe wait for at least 12 months after the procedure. July or August would be the best time to have the procedure.

• Like 1

1o months should be fine. The difference between month 10 and month 12 is in the maturity of the hair. The scalp, however, is fully healed.

Confirm with the doctor, but I had a second HT at month 9. Granted it was a different area (crown was not worked on before). But the donor area was the same. 

• Valued Contributor

I would wait for twelves months. In the big picture of life it’s not long though I realise that it will feel frustrating. I would want the surgeon to get the best impression of what he needs to address with your transplanted hair at its best. Also 4,900 grafts is a lot and it won’t hurt the donor to have a good twelve months to recover before it’s operated on again. I’m just thinking of the bigger picture and your long term outcome. All the best! 

• Like 2

Nycshearling,

If you just had your last large hair transplant procedure back in September, 2021 and the area containing low density was just transplanted at that time, then personally, I think it’s too early to evaluate whether or not you even have low density in that area.  What I mean is, you’re only approximately six months out from your procedure and some slow growing patients only just start seeing new growth around this time.

I understand that the other areas of your scalp are probably seeing significantly more growth which likely means that this particular area may end up with lower density when your hair transplant matures, but I would give it at least another 6 to 12 months before transplanting more hair into that area.

It’s very possible that even if the area ends up being lower density than the rest of your hair transplant, that more hair will grow between now and the time your hair transplant matures.  I understand you’re getting it for free, but you don’t want to cause further trauma to the scalp if it’s not necessary.  That can ultimately impact your end result. Therefore, it’s better to wait to see how the first hair transplant grows and matures prior to undergoing a second one to get more density regardless of whether there’s a problem or not.

if however, you were having hair transplanted into a “virgin“ area of the scalp (net transplanted), I wouldn’t have the same concerns and would suggest you do it whenever your donor area is healed. If you’ve undergone FUE, you could essentially transplant other areas of the scalp as soon as you’re ready. But that’s not the case here so I would wait.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.