Very curious here from any of you who have had fue. I have sensitive skin and seem to scar easily. Of course I don’t ever want to go bald but if my donor area was shaved after an fue years down the line would it be obvious scarring? I guess what would it look like or would someone have to look close to see it? You always see so many clinics call it a “scarless” procedure but how close from the truth is that?

• Administrators

If you looks closely you can see scars, this is after 5k grafts FUE

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

They call it scarless because when people think of scar they automatically think about the FUT strip scar.  

A good clinic would always be honest to you about what the expectation and outcome would be like regarding scars at the back. This depends alot on how many grafts are taken.   Someone who only takes 1000-1500 grafts from the back might be so lucky that the donor area will be indeed scarless! (under the correct doctor extracting them)

FUE has scars. Tiny hole scars which under certain haircut lengths results in people saying ''scarless''  but if you shave or cut the back of the hair very short you will spot them out. 

Under a skilled clinic that takes care of the donor area they are less visible to a random person in the street

With that said.. going to a hairmill will not only make FUE scars visible but will make the donor area look worse than what it would look like if you had a traditional strip scar..

Edited by Ryan Daniel
  • Like 2

Jodimaggio,

FUE is not a scarless procedure however, because scarring is minimal and only leaves tiny white dots where hair follicles have been removed, you can wear your hair cropped exceptionally short without showing any signs of scarring.  However, if you shave all the way down to the skin, you will likely see scarring.   How obvious is will depends on your own personal healing characteristics, size of the punch used by the physician, etc.  

Frankly, I always tell people that if they intend on eventually shaving their head entirely then I transfer surgery is likely not for them.

The concept of surgical hair restoration is to restore one’s hair and enable them to avoid shaving their scalp all the way down to the skin. Some individuals choose to wear their hair cropped quite short but to shave all the way down defeats the purpose of undergoing surgery in the first place.  Thus, in my opinion, I suggest deciding what it is you think you want to do prior to getting into the chair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

The concept of FUE having no scars unfortunately is something of a myth peddled by hair mills against the science to try draw people in. 

FUT imo does still have a place but the linear scar and sometimes the uncertainty of scalp laxity and how it could "stretch" over time made the idea of FUE more attractive alongside a lower downtime for recovery. 

I still think a lot of people need to understand both forms of hair transplant methods cause scars but your bodies ability to heal and skin to hair contrast can help to mask or accentuate the issue of scars. 

Ultimately if you do not want to have scars, don't get the hair transplant. If you are willing to brave it, then you should be prepared to mitigate the scarring with keeping your hair longer, using SMP or even potentially beard/body grafts to fill back in the donor areas down the line. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Very curious here from any of you who have had fue. I have sensitive skin and seem to scar easily. Of course I don’t ever want to go bald but if my donor area was shaved after an fue years down the line would it be obvious scarring? I guess what would it look like or would someone have to look close to see it? You always see so many clinics call it a “scarless” procedure but how close from the truth is that?

I've had multiple procedures, both FUT and FUE.  Regardless, if you have sensitive skin or not, every time you invade the skin, you will get a scar.  

How obvious are the scars will depend on a number of factors, including the size of the punch and your wound physiology.  

I do agree, the term scarless - is used to differentiate FUE from FUT.  It is incorrect nomenclature, however. Micro-scars will be difficult to detect if the punch is smaller than a .9mm. 

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native hair?

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I too have had both FUT/FUE multiple times for each. Both leave scars, but of course the FUT scar is more obvious and can require longer hair to hide it. 
The FUE scarring is still noticeable though if my hair is too short. Thousands of little white dots. Done badly FUE scarring is very noticeable, especially if it’s over harvesting. Both FUT/FUE have risks with regards to scarring. The best area to take grafts from and be relatively scar free seems to be from under the chin, IE Beard grafts. I have paid particular attention to every single thread/result possible and it’s very difficult to tell when Beard grafts are taken. 

2 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

I've had multiple procedures, both FUT and FUE.  Regardless, if you have sensitive skin or not, every time you invade the skin, you will get a scar.  

How obvious are the scars will depend on a number of factors, including the size of the punch and your wound physiology.  

I do agree, the term scarless - is used to differentiate FUE from FUT.  It is incorrect nomenclature, however. Micro-scars will be difficult to detect if the punch is smaller than a .9mm. 

Are you doing any type of medical therapy to help you with retention of the native hair?

Yes I do fin daily and Dut once a week. I don’t really ever plan or want to go bald but just worried if my transplanted hair starts to thin out how awkward I’d look. Idk maybe that isn’t even a reality. As stated I don’t want to shave but also don’t want the hair transplanted to recess and I’m back to where I started