Keloid Scar from FUT

sr1486

I had a 2500 graft FUT transplant in 2017. Unfortunately, I later realized my scar was "raised" and pretty noticeable. I had about six sessions of SMP, and it didn't stay at all. That was a waste of money. I'm pretty sure the reason it didn't stick was due to the keloid scar being different than regular skin.

What are my options for this? Would FUE grafts stay put if placed in a keloid? May just wait to see if Verteporfin works on humans. That seems very promising. Then I could have this scar removed and let it heal with Verteporfin

9XrV6o9.thumb.jpg.32d675b42ea1d5dfb95add42aab6b257.jpg

wam5rrZ.thumb.jpg.f7eb9d997e561137e2ac638a722e358b.jpg

Rn6HACo.thumb.jpg.be3a5bd07775c29208d030b278701c3d.jpg

JHivX1T.thumb.jpg.5b562a92782f8fb8975ec09d1af35457.jpg

YzkzhXP.thumb.jpg.d1536eddbda05e57e077929dbff31876.jpg

NUCKTVI.thumb.jpg.222fe4f7e2145e69456cc79ac53eeae8.jpg

xCeX1VK.thumb.jpg.0b2cc0de1fa413671862927fdd76cf58.jpg

afCpKrx.thumb.jpg.f309e869ac4670bd7511a36de744e9e4.jpg

Scarring tissue is tricky, no guarantees. You can try to do some kenalog injections from a doctor to flatten the scar tissue out some more, that may help it to retain the ink better. You could also try to transplant some hairs by FUE into the scar, but the hairs might not be able to root through the scar tissue, kenalog injections before the procedure might help with this too. The most invasive would be to try to get the scar revised, re-cutting and closing. You could try to have some hairs FUE'd into it during that revision, then maybe some more in about a year after its finished healing. Maybe revisit getting some SMP if none or only some of the hairs successfully root. Good luck!

14 hours ago, FUT4000 said:

you might be trimming your hair too short and it becomes noticeable? 

well yes, technically, for how thick the scar is. If the scar looked like most FUT scar's, itd be way thinner. The problem is my scar did not form correctly and is a keloid. It is noticeable even when my hair is almost an inch long.

7 hours ago, sr1486 said:

well yes, technically, for how thick the scar is. If the scar looked like most FUT scar's, itd be way thinner. The problem is my scar did not form correctly and is a keloid. It is noticeable even when my hair is almost an inch long.

I'm not an expert in scarring, but wouldn't the scar be raised if it was a keloid? can you take a picture lifting your hair maybe with a comb or something?

Edited by FUT4000

On 3/21/2022 at 10:15 PM, sr1486 said:

I had a 2500 graft FUT transplant in 2017. Unfortunately, I later realized my scar was "raised" and pretty noticeable. I had about six sessions of SMP, and it didn't stay at all. That was a waste of money. I'm pretty sure the reason it didn't stick was due to the keloid scar being different than regular skin.

What are my options for this? Would FUE grafts stay put if placed in a keloid? May just wait to see if Verteporfin works on humans. That seems very promising. Then I could have this scar removed and let it heal with Verteporfin

9XrV6o9.thumb.jpg.32d675b42ea1d5dfb95add42aab6b257.jpg

wam5rrZ.thumb.jpg.f7eb9d997e561137e2ac638a722e358b.jpg

Rn6HACo.thumb.jpg.be3a5bd07775c29208d030b278701c3d.jpg

JHivX1T.thumb.jpg.5b562a92782f8fb8975ec09d1af35457.jpg

YzkzhXP.thumb.jpg.d1536eddbda05e57e077929dbff31876.jpg

NUCKTVI.thumb.jpg.222fe4f7e2145e69456cc79ac53eeae8.jpg

xCeX1VK.thumb.jpg.0b2cc0de1fa413671862927fdd76cf58.jpg

afCpKrx.thumb.jpg.f309e869ac4670bd7511a36de744e9e4.jpg

It is very hard to tell if this is a true keloid.  I would do an in person evaluation to confirm.  

How you heal is a function of wound physiology.  This looks more like a scar that widened.  Did you start lifting weights right after the procedure? In what position did you sleep? There are a number of things that could have had an effect.  What to do?

Since you already have a scar, the first thought, is to re-excise the scar and replace with a new one.  Hopefully there'll be an improvement.  Like others have mentioned, there are a number of things, (injections for example) the doctor can do to help minimize the risk of a keloid.  SMP can help but, as you know, the body will metabolize the organic ink and you may have to continue doing this for years to come.  Can you FUE and put hair into the scalp? Guess you could but, if you do have the propensity for keloids, you could actually keloid each of the incisions, (both at the time of the harvesting and at the time of the placing). Again, I think your best bet is to do an in person evaluation and find out what exactly you're dealing with before doing anything.  Do you have other keloidal type scars in your body?

Are you doing anything, by the way, to help you with hair retention? You do need to try to keep and enhance as much as you can to avoid dealing with this.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

1 hour ago, FUT4000 said:

I'm not an expert in scarring, but wouldn't the scar be raised if it was a keloid? can you take a picture lifting your hair maybe with a comb or something?

The scar is raised, it’s a very noticeable bump. I felt it just now. Even the SMP guy I saw pointed it out a few times.I’ll perhaps try and take another pic after I wash my toppik off

Just now, sr1486 said:

The scar is raised, it’s a very noticeable bump. I felt it just now. Even the SMP guy I saw pointed it out a few times.I’ll perhaps try and take another pic after I wash my toppik off

Ok i see, its hard to tell with pictures. how soon after your hair transplant did you notice it turned into a keloid scar? are you prone to them or did you learn after that you are?

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

It is very hard to tell if this is a true keloid.  I would do an in person evaluation to confirm.  

How you heal is a function of wound physiology.  This looks more like a scar that widened.  Did you start lifting weights right after the procedure? In what position did you sleep? There are a number of things that could have had an effect.  What to do?

Since you already have a scar, the first thought, is to re-excise the scar and replace with a new one.  Hopefully there'll be an improvement.  Like others have mentioned, there are a number of things, (injections for example) the doctor can do to help minimize the risk of a keloid.  SMP can help but, as you know, the body will metabolize the organic ink and you may have to continue doing this for years to come.  Can you FUE and put hair into the scalp? Guess you could but, if you do have the propensity for keloids, you could actually keloid each of the incisions, (both at the time of the harvesting and at the time of the placing). Again, I think your best bet is to do an in person evaluation and find out what exactly you're dealing with before doing anything.  Do you have other keloidal type scars in your body?

Are you doing anything, by the way, to help you with hair retention? You do need to try to keep and enhance as much as you can to avoid dealing with this. I have one other “raised” scar on my face from a cyst extraction.

I started Fin when I had my transplant over 4 years ago, and started Dut about two years ago

Thanks. It is a raised scar. But I have not had someone formerly diagnose it. The SMP was gone each session in just several days.

1 minute ago, FUT4000 said:

Ok i see, its hard to tell with pictures. how soon after your hair transplant did you notice it turned into a keloid scar? are you prone to them or did you learn after that you are?

I found out after I had this one. I don’t remember when it first noticed it was irregular. I likely had it for a while and didn’t even realize it for a while 

1 hour ago, sr1486 said:

I found out after I had this one. I don’t remember when it first noticed it was irregular. I likely had it for a while and didn’t even realize it for a while 

like when you run your finger over it, you feel more of a bump like its raised? hope you can get it fixed!

On 3/23/2022 at 1:52 PM, FUT4000 said:

like when you run your finger over it, you feel more of a bump like its raised? hope you can get it fixed!

yep, that's exactly it. You can feel it. It's raised, and feels wider than it should. Thanks!